Polymaths Suite overview and tutorial

So this is a new commercial collection that was added to the library recently, and it has 1 main module, the Ars Memorium, and 3 more modules that work together with it. Basically, the Ars Memorium will save snapshots in different places on a grid, and we can scan and morph between those presets and create evolving and ever-moving sounds.

16 Likes

Hi Omri, what happens if you turn the knobs when you are in recall mode?

Here is what the manual says:

“In recall mode the knobs can be used to make edits to the values at various states, or to create new states, but will not directly affect the output as they do in edit mode. In recall mode the value of each output is the result of interpolation between all the various states you have saved within your matrix. These values are displayed on the LED indicators above the knobs, as well as on-screen when knob plot is selected via the menu system. In addition to the labeling of the switch and the LED indicators, one way to determine whether you are in recall mode is to watch the screen when you are turning the knobs. In recall mode, you will see a display showing the current value of each of the knobs, in edit mode, this information would be redundant.”

1 Like

These look like interesting modules and I loved your patches in this video - great stuff.

1 Like

Thanks to Omri for putting this together and feel free to shoot me questions on here (I am part of the team at Magus Instrumentalis).

We’re working on a new suite of modules, but I’m definitely looking forward to making improvements to this set. So feel free to reach out here or email me at ryan@magusinstrumentalis.com with questions, bugs, feature requests, patches, suggestions, music, videos, etc.

If anyone has purchased the set and needs a place to start I have put together a detailed manual, example patches, and dozens of MIDI CC templates for controlling your polysynths/effects units: https://magusinstrumentalis.com/?page_id=51

7 Likes

Hi all,

We’ve started a series exploring our utility modules, and alternate uses for them. This video shows how our modular Catoptromancer can be used as a half-wave or full-wave rectifier. The next video details how Catoptromancer can be used to create a primitive form of counterpoint. If anyone has suggestions for future videos please feel free to reach out:

Also for those that missed it, I also posted my own, long-form tutorial video for the Polymaths Suite:

2 Likes

We’re back with another video showing how you can use the Catoptromancer (aka VERT) module to create a simple form of counterpoint in your patches! Even though it’s obviously not going to help you write species counterpoint, I found that simple tricks like this as a really nice way to get generative harmonies in your duophonic patches.

In general, the polymaths tutorial videos will examine the utility modules since we have so much material on the Ars Memorium out there. With that said, I am also working on a tutorial for using the AM as a sequencer.

3 Likes