Plugins: Markov chain sequencer / switch and 2G geometric transforms

While it is possible to use the “scale” output in combination with a comparitor to trigger things when you get to a particular step it would be really handy to have individual trigger outs for each step. I’m doing the thing with the comparitor right now to send a trigger when MarkovSeq reaches step 8 so that it can trigger a different sequencer to move on.

Thanks for the suggestion. Seems very useful indeed!

the aforementioned patch (it’s a vcp-47 entry):

I like this patch and the use of the MarkovSeq a lot! Here is what I am planing for the next release of MarkovSeq;)

2 Likes

That’s cool. I wouldn’t have to do the weird thing with the shift register and the s&h to make chords if the MarkovSeq let me use polyphonic cables. ie i could have leakage generate 3 channel polyphony through the QNT and use the first channel for the lead.

this would be a great addition!

I’m trying to get MarkovSeq sequencing my Meander harmonic engine. The biggest problem I am having is that MarkovSeq outputs states 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6V which correspond to the circle of 5th degrees of I, II, III, IV, V, VI and VII. It is problematic having a state transition to 0 since 0V cannot trigger an event. I’ve run into this type of issue in Meander before and I try not to use 0V as any output state value. I’m working around this by using the Bogaudio OFFSET module to add 0.005V to the MarkovSeq State output, but that is a bit of a kludge. Within Meander, I use the numeric values of 1-7 to represent the chord degrees of I-VII and it is easy to keep straight and the lowest state value of 1V can easily trigger other modules.

I’m going to add an input control to Meander to allow switching between accepting 0-6V, 1-7V and C-B whole notes voltages.

I think this will be pretty cool when Meander and MarkovSeq can work together.

Hi,

I have submitted yesterday a new version of the MarkovSeq that includes a trigger output for each state. Is this helpful for the interaction with Meander?

Otherwise, I could easily add a context menu option allowing one to choose between 0-7 o 1-8.

Alternatively, if I understood well you just need 7 values ranging from 1 to 7. If hat is the case, you could prevent state 0 to be used and just create a graph with transition probabilities involving S1 up to S7. The state output will therefore just generate numbers compatible with the chord selection.

Hi,

I’ll take a look at the new version when it posts. There are multiple ways to go about this, but Meander needs to either be triggered our use the State output as the trigger by feeding the State output to Meander’s circle degree CV input and gate, which is what I’m doing now.

I’m still a bit unclear on MarkovSeq. Why are there specifically 8 states? There are only 7 harmonic degrees in the circle of 5ths, I-VII . I suppose that MarkovSeq could trigger any generic 8 states and it is just coincidental that 8 is close to 7. I probably got the harmonic degrees stuck in my head from your state transition diagram at the beginning of this thread.

Internally Meander uses a 7x7 transition probability matrix for first order Markov chain chord generation, but as you know, trying to make that editable is not easy.

Let me work on this some more before either of us change our code.

Thanks for responding:)

@k-chaffin
I’m still a bit unclear on MarkovSeq. Why are there specifically 8 states? There are only 7 harmonic degrees in the circle of 5ths, I-VII . I suppose that MarkovSeq could trigger any generic 8 states and it is just coincidental that 8 is close to 7. I probably got the harmonic degrees stuck in my head from your state transition diagram at the beginning of this thread.

The initial inspiration of the MarkovSeq was indeed to handle chord progressions but, at the end, I think it has a wider range of applications. So I did not want to limit it to 7 States. I decided to define an 8 stages sequencer/switch. Just to clarify my previous comment, the following configuration

represents a graph with only three active nodes S1, S4 and S5. From State S1, one can go either to State 1 or to State 4. State 4 can lead to States 1, 4 or 5. Finally, State 5 can only go back to State 1. As the three possible states are S1, S4 and S5 the value at the State output port will be 1, 4 or 5.

Okay, I have things working now. I took your advice and set up states 1-7 and left state 0 with nothing transitioning to it. Now the States coming out are 1-7V which my modified Meander is interpreting as I-VII degree states. The State output is going into Meander degree CV in and gate/trigger.

MarkovSeq is now sequencing Meander fully in that it is driving the chord progession and the melody, arp and bass are tracking that within the Meander designated mode and root/key. Works very well.

Great. I am looking forward to playing with this combination!