Please push the M1 native Vcv Rack 2 Pro!!

mikolajczyk.mikolajm

Vcv Rack is M1 native ready. We can run it with a small chunk of modules? Fine. Better now with smaller amount than nothing at all.

I would rather pay 200 bucks for a M1 native with just a few modules, than the Pro 2 with Drum machines, reverbs, and other cool modules which can’t run on the M1 at all (GaragedBand, Logic, and future native M1 Reason will work only with M1 Vst bridge, It seems non M1 plugins won’t work on the native M1 apps at all)

If someone start making the official Vcv Rack M1 ready out, all developers will follow suite… if the switch is not made, nobody will start converting the modules… It’s that simple/…

We are lucky Vcv is Linux native… what if Linux was not there when Vcv was released??? Would we have to stick with windows for the time being???

3 Likes

jep, this gets annoying, have to keep using ableton live 10 cause 11 is already native and even accepts only plugins compiled for apple silicon, as a pro user this is a bit annoying, given I essentially paid for plugin capability. with the plug and the outdated legacy live 10 I get crashes with the dated vcv plug-in a lot, so I have to keep using it standalone mostly.

1 Like

ooh - someone sounds mad!

but he is in fact right with his point

and the point, start it small on M1, others will follow sounds reasonable too. imho

read in forums, and see how many folks are on M1macs in the meantime ! its the best and most reasonable computer for music-making “for many people”. by reason

1 Like

well, Reaper loads both ARM and Intel VSTs just fine for example, and is Apple Silicon native. Send request to Ableton to get their plugin host fixed. Otherwise they will leave a vast majority of plugins behind… Bad move by them to not allow loading of Intel VSTs alongside the ARM native plugins methinks

3 Likes

not trying to defend ableton here, but they probably have their reasons to why they decided not to throw everything into one basket in terms of architechture-completeness, after all it’s the industry standard for techno, and you would not want to have kalkbrenner have a messed up live set, would you? I use bitwig too, and they have some interesting new takes on the genre, I switch between both a lot.

I’m not mad @Squinky btw, I just want to see this pushed, mostly cause I build huge patches with multiple 16 voice synths in vcv now, and I could really use some m1 native 40% performance boost, which is about to be expected for the native version or a plug or daw.

If you want a big perf boost, select modules that are efficient. I’ve seen very similar modules where they differ in cpu usage by 10x! That’s a lot more than 40%.

2 Likes

interesting, will look into this 10x is a ton, one could even say it’s 1000% :wink: any efficient way to bulk-check all modules for their cpu load?

Arithmetic checks out! I don’t know of any way other than put a bunch in a patch and turn on the cpu meters.

1 Like