Pink Trombone in VCV - Help Wanted

see above. It’s literally just a port of Pink Trombone

Thanks, so is it in the v2 library yet or will it be later in the week before Christmas?

Oh, no. :worried: Please don’t feel obliged to put the ‘mouth’ onto the panel.

it will be nano-VG-ized so that the tounge and constriction are animated, this should actually make it easier to use

3 Likes

Delightfully hideous. :slight_smile:

That’s horrifying and I love it.

Hello there,

Have you made any progress on this module? I would love to see it come to VCV, could be so fun !!

In any case, thank you for your work and have a nice day !

Unfortunately I got very sick right after my last post in here, and then right as I recovered from that I got busy with class again so I haven’t been able to progress, no. I more than welcome contributions from others though, so thank you for bumping this thread!

After I graduate in May maybe I’ll have time to finish it up if nobody else gets to it before then.

1 Like

I have pushed a commit fixing a bug that caused the internal vibrato to stop after some time, which was IMHO one of the most annoying bugs. It’s still pretty crash-y, and there’s still the possibility it will start to output extreme values and try to blow your ears out if modulating heavily; however, if you’re not trying to be crazy with it (no audio-rate mod, etc) it should be stable enough for use. I do still want to come back to this though, the VCV Pink Trombone is not dead!

1 Like

Yet another panel redesign, as I don’t want to wait on others to do the nanovg work and I don’t want to do it myself. Significant progress made, though some undone.

This panel is far from final, I’m still tweaking what parameters should be exposed and how.

5 Likes

Amazing !

happy to see that you still have time and motivation to work on it ! I think people don’t see how an amazing module it can be !

i’m very exited to try it !

and if you need help, PM me, i will love to help you in way or in another way !

have a good time and thanks a lot !!

Likewise. If you need a tester on linux, shout me.

Little more progress. I’ve combined the Fricative and Aspiration filter cuttoff frequency and Q controls. This, I suppose, technically limits the sonic palette (pun very much so intended) however; they often have no audible effect at all, and to keep the panel simple it made sense.

I have chosen to use stacked knobs for the attenuverters on the Filtering section again. This does make it *slightly difficult to change these values, but except for the Fricative Intensity (the last knob) they’re not really useful for performance anyway - so just zoom in or set up a controller module / MIDI map ╮(─▽─)╭

Some parameters I’d hoped to expose make very bad things happen or do nothing, so I’ve had to change things a bit, and actually in the commit I’m about to push the “lip” knob doesn’t do anything at all.

The biggest TODO left is just to find all the combinations of knob values that cause things to break. There’s a lot of “If knob X is bellow A, then knob Y needs to be above B” situations. There’s a lot of basic situations of just limiting internal values to be positive or between 0 and 1 that will fix these bugs too. If you’re willing to deal with occassional crash of the module (delete and re-add it) and the VERY occasional crash of rack if modulating it, it’s good enough to use; however, to encourage contribution until it’s done I’m going to ask people build it from source if they want to try it.

1 Like

Here’s a little demo of the WIP: Stream PinkTromboneProgress01 by Vega Deftwing | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

4 Likes

My that does sound good, more human sounding than the original ‘Pink Trombone’ online. Well done mate.

I think the more human sounding bit is just because there’s reverb on it, but thank you! I should point out, the base code is not mine, it’s from GitHub - cutelabnyc/pink-trombone-cpp: C++ implementation of everyone's favorite Pink Trombone which I believe is just a raw port of the original JS version. So, any positive difference in sound should really only be coming from the fact that you can module things and add effects.

Still love it! Any idea when it will be on general release in Library, No rush, but a very original addition to Rack awaits us. Thanks

Code is sort of like Zeno’s paradox, that is you can keep eating away at large sections and ToDo’s but every half-way point just leads to a new half-way point. I feel like what’s on GitHub is close; however, I know from experience that the final stage of debugging, making the UI and UX feel good, and making it performant eats way more time than it should.

So, unfortunately, the answer is I have no idea. If people want to contribute by finding the aforementioned knob/value ranges to prevent lockups and testing, that would make it go faster. But, I’m doing this for free and in meat space I’m fighting for every spare minute to work on class work as I round out 2 engineering degrees and prepare to move and start a new job. So, basically I just don’t have much incentive to work on it.

As with all things in life, if you want it sooner you can either throw money at it (at me, that is) or work on it yourself. The code is open, you’re welcome to work on it and submit a PR @ GitHub - VegaDeftwing/PinkTromboneVCV: Attempt to port Pink Trombone to VCV Rack

Assuming no money or PRs… idk? August-ish? It depends on how hectic the new job is and if I feel like programming more after sitting at a desk and programming for 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

2 Likes

This is awesome, you’ll have Rack whispering sweet words in our ears in no time with some nifty sequencing tricks I’m sure :wink:

Will try to build and test this some when I find the time!

1 Like

I’d really like it if on the final version somebody helped find transitions to most phonemes and sequence naturally between them. From there doing something like getting it to speak Toki Pona with its limited vocabulary and sounds should be reasonable. Of course, the sheer amount of work in doing this hurts my brain.

4 Likes