Pink Trombone in VCV - Help Wanted

Excited for this!

I like the component layout, but I think it could stand to grow a few HP in order to get some bigger knobs – particularly the outer (lower) knob in each “double knob”. But also maybe the inner one a bit too. As it is now, at 100% Rack zoom level I think that grabbing the outer knobs takes a bit more careful aiming than I’m used to. But to be fair it’s not much more effort than when targeting a knob in a bundle of 1HP NYSTHI modules. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I like the Happy Nerding knobs a lot, but I do think that one part of what makes them work is the Z-axis/depth difference between the knobs which makes manipulating them easier. For now in Rack we only have flat interaction so the contact surface between the user and the knob is smaller. It’s even more of a concern if you ever want the module to be used on an iPad or something like it. All fingers are fat! :sweat_smile: Anyways, that’s why I wound up pretty significantly increasing the size of the outer knob in my “implementation” for Algomorph Advance:

I also think that the fine lines on your knobs are blending into the background artwork and sort of taking the rest of each knob with them a bit. It’s kind of like the knobs are wearing some sparse camouflage, which makes my eyes want to keep searching the panel to make sure I didn’t miss a component somewhere.

Increasing the opacity of the background circles that surround the knobs might be enough to take care of that, but they are some fine lines and there’s a lot going on in the background so you might want to go a bit further to make them more eye catching, or maybe make the background a bit less so.

That’s just my two cents, and I’m not a trained graphic designer so take it with a bit of salt. Thanks for working on this, and @synthi too!

1 Like

I’m going to redo the entire panel, as I’m not super happy with it anyway. I also just used knobs I’d already made for my LyraeModules but wanted to make something custom.

For now though, it’s good enough to get the code worked out and determine if I need more/less controls, where, and what feels natural.

1 Like

Now that you mention it, the text is very difficult to read, which is a pet peeve of mine. Not only is the text small, but the color doesn’t provide much contrast.

I like to be super legible, so I usually use the Roboto font, full white (7f7f7f) and 12 points.

2 Likes

I’ll take this into consideration for the panel redesign!

1 Like

I would like to display the position of the tongue and constriction of the oral cavity like the original does to some extent; however, while I’m somewhat competent for the rest of the code as soon as I touch nanoVG my brain starts to hurt. I don’t think a full display like the one on the website is necessary, but it might be nice to draw something to make it more obvious. I was planning to resort to using RGB led’s to convey this, but if someone wants to do the NanoVG work and help with the panel I’m open to it!

EDIT: I’ve gotten a private message from someone interested in doing the nanoVG side

Wow, I didn’t expect this thing would be such fun! :rofl: It would (will?) be excellent to have this available in VCV Rack!

edit : OK, I forked the repo and built it from source. Running it, I managed to get it into some perpetual “whisper” state which apparently can’t be turned off. (Initializing the module or restarting Rack doesn’t help.)

1 Like

Yeah, I know about about this. You have to delete and re-add the module. It’s caused by the frequency going to low from the knob. Strangely, it doesn’t happen when the frequency is brought low via CV. I’ll fix it later.

I’ve pushed a commit that limits the frequency offset knob so I don’t think you should be able to get it into the silent state anymore. I was still able to get it to output an +inf, but I was modulating things pretty hard and I’m not sure what combination caused it. If someone can track that down that’d be cool.

1 Like

Maybe an expansion module, such that the graphic is optional. I wonder if the graphic could be an alternate CV entry point, similar to the web site.

Love the concept of this module BTW.

9 Likes

I’ve pushed an update to git where the input originally intended to be used to toggle the soft palate is being used to open the internal VCA - so this version is silent unless a signal is applied to this input

On the note of the soft palate input, that is the last big control input I need to figure out how works… though it’s also named poorly. As it stands right now, I can’t figure out how to make the nasal cavity be used on its own, without the oral cavity, as can be seen in this screenshot of the web version:

This is proving to be a major roadblock keeping me from moving forward, so if anyone can dive into the code and figure it out, it would be much appreciated!

You might make it so that if there is no cable patched to the volume input it defaults to something reasonable? Having to patch that input just to get a sounds seems unfriendly.

1 Like

… I hadn’t actually thought of that. I’ll definitely do that in the final version! Right now I’m just trying to find all the inputs and figure out what range of values they expect.

2 Likes

oh woah !!!

it’s amazing !!

thank every body for the job, i hope this will end up in the librairy soon !!

thanks again !

While its already partially working, there’s a lot of work to be done. Currently it occasionally breaks in a variety of very bad ways, eats CPU, and the panel needs re done. While I really appreciate the excitement and kind words, I just want to be sure to relax expectations a bit.

yes !

i’m exited for sure, the sound from pgatt made me laugh so much … !

But for sure take your time, i’ve got mine, and i already download the page you share, so at least i can put in VCV by this way …

Things always take longer than you think, so i’ve got my time !

thanks again for your work !

2 Likes

wow sooo excited for this one

This might be the worst thing I’ve ever made.

12 Likes

Amazing!

Well, it looks marvellous to my eyes, what wonderous noises does it make though? Any audio examples?