Peaks clone ?

I’d look at @carbon14 explanation earlier in this thread.

Figured it out, thanks. ‘Not’ intuitive, for me haha

Just an update - I spoke to Andrew about merging this back to VCV proper. His response is he’d need to completely review the code from scratch which would take many hours and probably find many issues (that could instead be spent improving VCV), which is fair enough I guess. Also that Peaks was one of the less interesting Mutable modules (I have to agree there!). So this will just have to remain an unofficial port I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Peaks is actually the one Mutable module I can’t live without in hardware, although to a large extent that comes down to the Dead Man’s Catch firmware.

Speaking of which, as this will now remain an unofficial port, any chance of adding DMC at some point please?

2 Likes

To be honest I have only a little time and more interesting things to work on at the moment - the UI part is done though so happy for someone to take a punt at it. :slight_smile:

Also to clarify less interesting, I mainly mean it doesn’t have modulation inputs and for me personally that is the most interesting draw of modular.

I’ve been getting better and better at understanding Rack programming, and I may try my hand at a branche version of your Peaks port with modulation inputs and two sets of physical controls. So far, I’ve struggled a lot more on the DSP side of programming in Rack than the UI/“traditional programming” part, so I definitely think I could figure this out, depending on how advanced the port code is.

3 Likes

I just gave this VCV plugin a try. I’m curious about the hardware version because of a podcast interview with James Blake, where he says he uses it live for syncing Eurorack with his drummer. He mentioned that it tracks well when they slow down the tempo of a song.

I wanted to try this out. I set up an LFO as my clock, and connected its FM input to a very slow descending saw LFO. This gives me a nice, steady decrease in tempo on the clock LFO.

In this version at least, Peaks follows the decreasing tempo well, but it introduces a double gate whenever the incoming tap trigger arrives when the output gate is high.

Can anyone confirm if this behaviour is also present in the hardware version? It would seem difficult to use it as a clock if it emits double triggers like this.