Patches forget midi devices

Hi all,

Pretty much everytime I open a patch I have to re assign midi controllers to their respective MIDI-CV modules. Sometimes the patches will load with midi devices as I assigned them, but it’s kind of rare. Channel and CC # get saved though. Not sure what’s up…

Yes, I experienced this too. I’m on Windows 10.

Forgot to specify I’m on Win10 as well.

This never happens on my Mac. Maybe try this: Before you open Rack, if the MIDI controller is connected via USB, unplug it and plug it in again, and then wait 5 seconds and then start Rack. If that solves the problem it’s probably something to do with Windows forgetting devices after it sleeps and wakes up. If that’s the case try and go into powersettings and see if you can find a way to not let USB devices go to sleep, or change the powerprofile to max. performance.

Just a question to be sure:

Does this happen on “saved” patches, or is the patch not yet saved but “reopened”.

Some settings throughout a patch might get lost sometimes, if the patch was not yet actually saved (this might or might not include settings for the midi module).
But i have experienced this with some modules, saving the patch resolved it for me.

Yeah, it happens to me as well but only if I disconnect the USB cable at some point (also when working on other things and not with VCV) or connect other devices (again, also when VCV is closed). I think that a powered USB device can solve this because it’s ‘memorizing’ the state of the connections or something similar. Anyway, in big patches I usually use the 202 module from Submarine to tag each Midi module with the right device just in case.

1 Like

This happens to me too, also with LoopMidi which is active on startup. Win10 also

Just a question to be sure:

Does this happen on “saved” patches, or is the patch not yet saved but “reopened”.

Some settings throughout a patch might get lost sometimes, if the patch was not yet actually saved (this might or might not include settings for the midi module). But i have experienced this with some modules, saving the patch resolved it for me.

Well I tried re assigning devices and saved then re opened the patch and it remembers all devices, even after restarting/opening another patch/turning off one of the midi controllers. But I do know I tried this before , it will work for some time and at some point the problem will re occur.

Yeah, it happens to me as well but only if I disconnect the USB cable at some point (also when working on other things and not with VCV) or connect other devices (again, also when VCV is closed). I think that a powered USB device can solve this because it’s ‘memorizing’ the state of the connections or something similar. Anyway, in big patches I usually use the 202 module from Submarine to tag each Midi module with the right device just in case.

USB power saving is disabled on all ports so devices are always on, except my keystep pro that i turn off manually when not in use. Devices are touchosc bridge from hexler (using touchosc on an ipad to control), impulse 61 and keystep pro. It doesn’t matter if device is physical or software, it will at some point be forgotten by the patch.

Problem is not so much remembering what goes where but re assigning devices for around 10 midi-cv/stoermelder midi-cat modules each time I open the patch.

Edit: Should also mention that midi devices name change often, for exemple opening a patch i will see the list of controller names followed by a number, opening another patch or re opening same patch some days later the number have changed.

Happens to me, too, and I have suspected it’s related to unplugging the “MIDI” device. I unplug my keyboard so often that I’ve always assumed this anomaly is user error.

Same. Happens to me all the time in Linux if Jack has been restarted.

I assume there is some identifier or addressing thing that changes and they probably don’t appear to the computer brain as the “exact same device” even though your human brain obviously knows you didn’t just swap it out for a new and different controller.

Yes, there is an internal Midi-Device-ID in Windows. And it can change between startups, depending on the sequence the devices are powered up and registered. It happened to me, when I mapped my launchpad to a virtual joystick to use it as a game-controller. I could not figure it out, till I ran a python test-program which showed that my device-ID had changed. Since then I always try to use the same sequence of powering up my devices.

Maybe that makes a good case for having USB MIDI devices plugged into a powered USB hub, which is always powered?

Opened the patch today, and the devices were assigned, turned on my hardware rack (ES9 etc) and re launched vcv and all devices were gone. The ES9 has a midi connection although it doesn’t appear in the list of devices, so yeah I guess it’s linked somehow to midi devices that get connected/disconnected.

You can use USBDeview to monitor/enable/disable USB devices. Maybe it will help

View any installed/connected USB device on your system (nirsoft.net)

Here’s how one person is using it to workaround the device assignments

How to solve the infamous Windows 10 MIDI device renaming issue | by Paolo Pustorino | Medium

2 Likes

Sadly, same result after cleaning up with USBDeview. Good tool to have around though. Thanks for the tip.

Just found out that if I launch vcv before I turn my rack on, the problem goes away :slight_smile:

I don’t know how things work now, but back before you kids were born we would save the name of the midi device to a preferences file. When you come back you enumerate all the midi devices, and connect to the one whose name matches. Always seemed stable.

1 Like