Patch Challenge: Jack of All Trades

We’ve all been there, right? “Dang, I could make a whole patch just out of this one thing!” So I invite you to try — and post the result here! The rules are simple:

• Make a full voice out of just one module;
  • You can load multiple instances of the chosen module (extra points if you manage to use just one, though);
  • It doesn’t have to be a free module either, just be sure to upload a video or audio should you go the premium route;
  • You can’t load any additional modules other than an audio interface and a recorder;
  • You are allowed to use notepads and blanks to help document and/or embellish your patch. Basically any visual only module that does not contribute in any way to the sound;
  • For the sake of this challenge, a VCO playing a constant pitch is not considered a voice. Hey, I’m all in for drones, but that’s cheating!

I’m sure people will ask what I mean by voice. I’m leaving this fairly open, so be your own judge. A clock, a sequencer, something to produce sound, timbre and dynamics control… As long as it sounds good to you and respects the rules above.

This challenge doesn’t have a deadline, so please feel free to submit anytime! I’ll try my best to listen and comment to every entry. Even if you come up with something you find obvious or uninteresting, it’s still a good exercise to try and make it sound good to your ears — and I’m sure others will appreciate listening to your work. Happy patching!

P.S.: I did a quick search to see if a similar challenge had already been done, but couldn’t find any. If you know of one (as I suspect there might be), please let me know!

5 Likes

Some questions:

• Is it allowed to use audio input through the audio interface module?
  • Is it allowed to load samples (wave-files) into the module/modules (if it is possible)?
  • Is it mandatory that the patch plays by itself? Or is it allowed to ‘play’ the patch using the mouse to change parameters and cable connections while playing?
1 Like

Good questions!

Preferrably all sounds should come from within Rack, so no samples/external sources — just to keep things interesting, you know :slight_smile: Likewise, I think it’s an additional challenge that the modulation comes from the patch itself.

Having said that, I don’t want to discourage people to try something I might not have thought of, so if you already have an idea cooking up then please, by all means, go ahead with it!

1 Like

Could a MIDI module to play the voice from a keyboard be ok?

1 Like

my first try

7 Likes

What about allowing blanks and/or light strips and/or visual text modules to help denote and document logical sections of a patch? Basically any visual only module that does not contribute in any way to the sound. Something like I did for the AirWindows VCP #75 challenge.

Not only can this help while building a large patch with only one module, I think it is also instructive and more interesting for the consumers of the patch.

I know what module I am going to use, and I am pretty sure I will want to document as I go. If need be I can strip out the visual only modules when I am done. But I think people will enjoy it more with the documentation.

2 Likes

maybe this is too simple :thinking:

5 Likes

Not too sure how much fun it’ll really be to squeeze something musical out of this :smiley:

5 Likes

Hmm I believe my reply to Ahornberg extends to this case. I consider keyboard input external modulation, so if you want to be very strict, then no. But you do you!

1 Like

Ha! And it grooves! I love it, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, I don’t see a problem here. I’ll add this to the general rules!

1 Like

The Cage. Contains only one module (NYSTHI Phasor). :smile:

8 Likes

Ooh, Ive got one:

Onevoice

onevoice noize plethora.vcv (1.1 KB)

:laughing: Not realy a “Jack of all Trades”, but fun to play with.

4 Likes

@purf sounds musical enough to my ears :smiley: Your patch and Ahornberg’s got me wanting to try something similar

@Alphagem-O proof Nysthi is OP!

@auretvh nice tones!

1 Like

Glitch Lab

Got one more to go. Uses Valley’s Interzone for glitchy noises, especially amusing when increasing the LFO rate. Later on, Delay and Reverb is added for emphasis (exceeding challenge requirements).

1 Like

I wouldn’t exactly say HetrickCV Chaotic Attractors is a jack of all trades like Maths is. But hey, this is pretty fun!

1 Like

Note the use of the new input cable stacking feature! :upside_down_face: Like, half of the time this took to make was spent finding settings where the layers felt reasonably well balanced.

1 Like

I opted to create 3 different voices using multiple copies of Venom VCO Lab. The patch includes the following functionalities:

• V/Oct sequencing
  • Clock
  • Envelope generators
  • VCAs
  • Pseudo random triggers
  • LFO CV modulation
  • Various VCO modalities
    • 0 Hz carrier FM
    • Audio rate triggered one shot generating sub harmonics
    • Sine bells

Half way through the video I enable “illegal” reverb, just to see what it could sound like. But it works fine staying within the rules, without the reverb

8 Likes

Videogame Punk Beat.

From a console that entered an infinite loop and displays a purple square of death on its power button.

Sanguine Mutants Aestus only.

The video:

The patch:

videogame_punk_beat.vcv (1.5 KB)

Caveat: you need the Sanguine Mutants nightly to load this patch: Aestus is not yet available in the Library.

4 Likes

3 instances of Palette (i.e. Plaits) used and abused as both LFO and VCO

Jack of All Trades.vcv (1.4 KB)

7 Likes