OrangeLine RESC "child scale"

I suspect this is more of a “theory” question than a technical one. I just stumbled across the Orangeline RESC rescaler module and find it quite helpful for re-quantizing sequences to new scales. It does what I expect it to do when I feed it a “source scale” in the SCALE port and a “target scale” in the TARGET SCALE port. But I don’t really understand the intent of the TARGET CHILD port. From the documentation:

• IN input: [polyphonic] Pitch given in the source scale to transpose to the target scale.
  • SCALE[Cmaj] input: [polyphonic] Source Scale. The channels contains the pitches of the scale.
  • TARGET SCALE input: [polyphonic] Target Scale. The channels contains the pitches of the scale.
  • TARGET CHILD input: [polyphonic] Child of Target Scale to use as effective Target Scale. The channels contains the pitches of the scale.
  • OUT BASE ROOT: [polyphonic] Transposed pitch based on the Root TARGET SCALE without respecting the TARGET CHILD input.
  • OUT BASE CHILD: [polyphonic] Transposed pitch based on the TARGET child SCALE respecting the TARGET CHILD input.
  • CHILD SCALE: [polyphonic] Pitches of the TARGET child SCALE (TARGET root Scale rotated by TARGET CHILD.

I’ve not run across the term “child of a scale” in my readings about theory. It seems to behave identically to the TARGET scale. So I can think of it as a alternate scale that the module is making available at the same time a the TARGET scale. But the term CHILD makes me think I’m missing something fundamental in how the target and child are intended to be related. Help?

RescWork

I think this is a module question, and it sounds like something @k-chaffin might know about.

1 Like

In this case, I am interested but I do not understand “child scale” by reading the manual and I haven’t played with the module much. Sorry.

2 Likes

I take it to mean that the TARGET scale identifies all possible notes in the scale, and the CHILD scale identifies the subset of notes from the TARGET scale that are actually enabled, aka effective. So the TARGET scale might setup a minor scale with 7 pitches, for example, and the CHILD scale might select the 1st, 3rd, and 5th degrees of the scale to form a minor chord. Varying the CHILD scale would be a way to form chords or tone clusters composed of notes within the target scale perhaps. At least that is the impression I get from reading the manual page. I have not tried the module yet though …

1 Like

@Stubs

1 Like

Child scales are scales the share the same note than mother scale. Like D Dorian is child scale of C Major. With the child input you rescale to different child scales/modes of a scale without changing the scale.

4 Likes

@Stubs - thanks for the explanation - now it makes sense.

1 Like