Open Sound Control Map

Hi to all.

Noob here developing a new module forked from MidiMap but trying to implement OSC signals instead of CC. Tried a couple of libraries but wasnt after found oscpack, which lead me to trowaSoft cvOSCcv that already does almost the same.

Ended up reusing a lot of code, the difference is that my module allow to map knobs and doesnt use “CV”.

You think it will be usefull? Or already exist something like this?

Saludos

6 Likes

thanks! yep it would be useful for TouchOSC for sure. Do you have any repo available on github or somewhere else to test? I don’t know much about OSC protocol but I’m interested in proper feedback to midi controller. In the case of midi we have Midi-CAT module from Stoermelder but I don’t know if that’s the same for OSC.

StoerMelder has explicitly stated he is not interested in doing anything with OSC.

Yes, this would be useful, I have been thinking about doing a similar thing myself but the involved GUI code work has made it unattractive for me to actually start doing it. :wink: (I suppose code from the VCV Fundamentals and StoerMelder could be repurposed, though…)

Would you consider doing a module with CV outputs too…? :slight_smile:

@VCVRackIdeas Repo updated to include this module. Also added a package compiled for windows. https://github.com/xnamahx/RackdeLirios/releases/tag/v0.1

The module is pretty basic right now, im using max4live to send values beetwen 0. and 1. I think TouchOSC will require some tweaks, a future enhancenment could be add some scale option to work with different ranges ie. 0-127.

@Xenakios Could you describe your request a little more, it seems to me that trowaSoft cvOSCcv already have CV outs.

As far as i know, the trowasoft module does not have osc learn, though, which makes it too inconvenient to use.

thanks. by default touchosc set for rotary control 0 to 1 values so I don’t know, is OSC can set some kind of decimals 0,1 - 0,75?

Ah sorry, I didn’t realize your module wasn’t intended to learn OSC messages either.

Well, that’s still something I am hoping will exist some day. It’s just too difficult to work without the OSC message learn feature.

Hi @xnamahx, chiming in to say this would be absolutely brilliant for me, and many others in the live coding community at http://toplap.org. In particular controlling VCV from tidalcycles.org.

3 Likes

Thanks @jarm to come by.

has been some misunderstood what this module do, Have you tried the binary package linked? What can be added to make it more suitable for your application?

Saludos

2 Likes

I haven’t tried yet but will give it a go! Thanks

Edit: I just saw there’s only Windows builds so far. I’m on macOS, any chance of a build, or some build instructions?

Didn’t test it on macOS yet. But building should be straight simple.

git clone

git submodule update --init --recursive

RACK_DIR=<path to Rack SDK>

make dep

make dist
1 Like

Someone on chat.toplap.org tried to compile it for macOS and they said:

I compiled it yesterday for mac os, BUT to do so I had to remove the linking to opengl32. It does not look like there is an easy replacement for that library. The funny thing is it compiled successfully without it, but it does not appear in Rack modules list once launched

Apple is in the process of removing OpenGL support from Mac Os. It’s not perhaps completely gone yet, but one will probably have to jump through some hoops to be able to use it with the latest build toolchains and OS versions.

I myself removed the libusb dependency from the plugin and removed the PushMap module that depends on that to get the RackdeLirios plugin compiled. (I am on Mac Os 10.13 and Xcode 9, so I didn’t have problems relating to OpenGL.)

Hi @Xenakios, is there anything special to do after make install because I see the folder is being dezipped correctly but nothing shows up in Rack when I look for it.

I’ve heard those rumours but are there any official sources for this?

It is indeed official : https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/OpenGL-MacProgGuide/opengl_intro/opengl_intro.html

1 Like

since 2018 …

Very interesting. When I open the link it says this in the popout at the top of the page:

Retired Document

Important: OpenGL was deprecated in macOS 10.14. To create high-performance code on GPUs, use the Metal framework instead. See Metal.

So OpenGL is deprecated in MacOS. What’s interesting for VCV Rack of course is, whether deprecated simply means “frozen for eternity but will continue to work” or if it means “we reserve the right to remove OpenGL support at any moment, please rewrite your OpenGL applications”.

Hmmm…

Hi! Was searching for some OSC functionality and found this thread. WHat would be really could if we could send text strings or whatever it’s called technically through OSC, i’d like to use touchOSC as a controller for VCV and to be able to label the controls automatically after assigning them to some parameters would be brilliant? Dunno if it is possible to do something like this though…

CHeers!

3 Likes