Noodlings of Lars

I like that Lars. That classic mellotron sound. The layers sit nicely.

The pitch shifting works pretty well. I’ve done it that way in some of my earlier tracks. It’s much easier than the indexed table technique I posted in the recent video, but you lose using the actual sample for the note - which is OK and may not be significant. But it does make a difference if you want a higher note of long duration - at two octaves above the 7 second mellotron samples will last 2 seconds

I need to spend some time with the new Arturia mellotron and hear a comparison to these techniques.

I see chronoblob made an appearance too :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Paul!

I’d love to hear the outcome of your comparison!

1 Like

So far i’ve tried 4 mellotron samples in Arturia’s Analog lab, and i’ve got to say, they are really awesome. If you guys have the money, go for it ! Also the fact that you can load your own samples and give them ‘’ the mellotron vibe ‘’ makes the possibilities endless !!! If i wasn’t saving for some hardware synths i would get it ASAP :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, I will try it out.

1 Like

Ah! Now I see what you mean. Note inputs to a sequential switch, and then randomly selecting between the inputs. It’s like holding a chord on a guitar, and randomly picking the strings in the chord. Very nice technique, thanks for sharing that! And very nice use of the Resonator by the way… it reminds me how I’m in no way finished with exploring that module. Lovely patch actually.

My entry to the Very Cool Patch Challenge 32 (VCP-32).

It’s a sort of organ cantata’ish piece (?), that turns somewhat bubbly midway.
I’ve used Ben’s patch unaltered, except for the addition of the master recorder.

There’s three voices:

• The bass is played by Cosmic and pitched by the Volts expander.
  • The mid-voice is played by Macro Oscillator 2, pitched by Alan.
  • The bubbly sequence on top is played by Basal and is sequenced by Entropia, running a mixed blue and yellow sequence. At various time in the piece it’s clocked by 1x, 2x or 4x.

Lazy Susan is quantizing all three voices, and the Dual Dual LPG provides an envelope for all of them. Caudal provides modulation for Basal and Macro Oscillator 2. One of the Walk modules modulates the harmonics of Macro Oscillator 2 and the other provides some gentle transposition for the sequence of Basal, via the Falls attenuator. The Segment Generator provides an LFO for gentle amplitude modulation of the foreground sequence.

The patch is here:
https://patchstorage.com/entropic-organ-bubbles-vcp-32/

4 Likes

Thanks Lars. I like the layering, and that organ voicing.

1 Like

Thanks Paul, glad you like it!

My second entry to VCP-32

I finally got some quality time with the marvellous Chronoblob2 delay from Alright Devices, and it’s a beauty!

In this patch I have Macro Oscillator 2, in Two operator FM mode, playing the picked strings on top through the Chronoblob2, and the Cosmic oscillator playing the bass.

The Chronoblob2 is frozen, playing an endless delay loop of picked strings, with the live voice from Macro Oscillator 2 playing on top of it.

Macro Oscillator 2 is pitched from Alan and the Cosmic is pitched from a sequence running in the Segment Generator, which also supplies three LFO’s modulating the Chronoblob2 and the Cosmic VCO.

I debated whether I should enter this patch to the contest at all, since it’s such a simple patch, but I figured - hey, if I like it someone out there probably will as well, right?

You will find the patch here. Note: When you open the patch it will not sound the same as the recording, since the delay loop is not saved:

https://patchstorage.com/eternal-chronoblobs-vcp-32/

3 Likes

Welcome to the Chronoblob club :slight_smile:

I like the patch

Thanks Paul, yeah… :slight_smile: It’s a very nice module for sure.

1 Like

Well, I’m carrying on with a slightly modified version of @ablaut’s VCP-32 rack. Now with EXTRA Gedodesics :slight_smile: Man, I forgot how great Ions is. The whole tune is basically played by Ions, with plenty of Chronoblob and other good stuffs. Also, Omri is right about the Cosmic - it really is a wonderful oscillator. Created entirely with VCV Rack and nothing else. Enjoy!

You’ll find the patch here:
https://patchstorage.com/looking-for-echoes/

4 Likes

Really nice composition Lars!

1 Like

Thanks a bunch Al, appreciate it!

Cool, some great voices in there!

1 Like

Thanks Paul!

That’s some good stuff right there Lars, seriously well done!

1 Like

Thank you so much Adi!

This one is for Andrew Belt, a little serenade to celebrate the release of Rack 1, and all the hard work and dedication that’s gone into it.

The new Geodesics:Energy is one bonkers, crazy deep module, with a huge palette of sonic possibilities. I love it! I think it’s very much like a Mutable Instruments module: Here’s 5 knobs, 7 inputs and 9 buttons, all interchangably affecting each other. Now go play… It does have a learning curve but it’s very rewarding. Well done and thank you Pierre and Marc!

And why not pair it with the new Valley:Feline filter, another lovely module with nice things to explore. Just yummie - Thank you Dale for all your hard work, you know we’re all totally addicted to Valley!

I’m really enjoying all the improvements and new features of Rack 1. There are things here and there that I would personally like different, but it’s a huge leap forward, and quite the triumph. Polyphony is just wonderful, and MIDI out so powerful. And already I wouldn’t trade the new seemless zoom for anything. We all owe Andrew a debt of gratitude, together with all the other developers of all these amazing Rack plugins. Enjoy!

You’ll find the patch here: https://patchstorage.com/serenade-for-rack-1/

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words Lars, glad you like Energy! Cool patch btw, simple and effective, just the way I like them :slight_smile:

2 Likes