No sound on Macbook pro M1 Max MacOs Monterey with VCV Rack Free 2.1.2

Hi,

I installed VCV rack a few months ago on a very old Macbook 2013, Intel processor, and it did work.

Now I ported all my system into a brand new Macbook Pro M1 Max run-on Monterey, and I can do whatever I want, I have absolutely no sound…

I strictly reproduced the template from the Getting started section of the manual, double checked everything, Midi>CV is on computer keyboard and QWERTY keyboard (US) (mine is french Belgium, but this should not be a problem), and AUDIO is on Core Audio, internal speaker. Everything ‘should’ work, but something does not. Nothing lights up, all modules and voltages stay strictly at 0% and 0.000v…

Is is MacOs Monterey? Is it the M1 Max ARM? I do not have a usb midi keyboard to try another input… I could use a field recorder as an alternative output, but this does not seem to me the problem…

Is there a patch that I can build that would generate V/OCT and Gate randomly, just to try and bypass mac keyboard input?

Thanks a lot already for all the help you can offer, as it is awfully frustrating to have that new powerful mac that does… no sound :-/

Greg

did you allow Rack to access the Microphone (that also lets it output sound, not just input), Microphone is a misnomer, but that’s what it’s called in the Security & Privacy System Preference pane?

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes I did check that and it was already allowed (access to microphone for VCV rack 2 Free checked).

I did try to unable it, then VCV suddenly is at 22.5% AVG, and the ADSR envelopes are drawn. VCO FERQ led is lit, but still no sound nor keyboard input. Re-enable microphone access to VCV RACK Free has no positive effect (return to 0% AVG and no ADSR envelopes shown…).

I did achieve to have the regenera patch to work and generate music. So, it’s not a problem of audio, nor VCV RACK 2 Free on M1 Max…

It has then something to do with the midi>cv from my keyboard…

Could you pleaqse share a screen shot of your setup? I suspect you need to disconnect the modwheel port from VCV MIDI to CV to the VCA, but I could be wrong. If problems persist, please email support@vcvrack.com

Ok,

Without the modwheel port from VCV MIDI to CV to the VCA, the VCA was responding to the LFO input all the time.

I don’t know what I had wrong… Since then creating a new patch works perfectly, with sometimes an erratic crack depending on the number of cores chosen, refresh rate hz, and sample rate/block size, but this has got also maybe something to do with the Rosetta 2/Intel port. Maybe the transfer from Mac Intel to ARM had some stuff wrongly updated if any.

When could we expect to have a Mac M1 (Pro, Max, Ultra…) native version?

There is no predicted arrival time for Mac M1 native version of Rack. AFAIK VCV is waiting for a “critical mass” of support from module developers to do the work to ensure their plugins build and run for Mac ARM. It may take a while unless someone makes it a lot easier for a developer without a Mac to build and test for M1. It’s already a bit of pain for those of us without a Mac of any kind.