New Voxglitch Module: Satanonaut

Hello everyone!

My new module, “satanonaut”, is now available for VCV Rack. It’s a collaboration between Kirt Burdick and Voxglitch (me), and emulates an alien entity hell-bent on mutilating your audio. And it’s free! It’s based on characters in Kirt’s new comic book, “Galacto Pit Fighter

For synthesis geeks, it’s a multi-effects module that uses the output of bytebeat equations to index within a continually updating ring buffer… plus a few weird delays thrown in to boot. Satanonauts have given it an 8 out of 10. It will transform your beautiful audio into something… inconsiderate.

It’s available at VCV Library - Voxglitch Satanonaut

Special Request:

If you like this module, please consider backing the comic book on Kickstarter.

image.png

10 Likes

i was messing with this last night and i really like some of the distorted and lofi sounds you can get out of it.

1 Like

After reading someone’s praise of Satanonaut on the Facebook group last night, I used to it rescue a piece I had been working on. There’s depth there that will require some time to adequately explore.

1 Like

I love it

Thanx a lot, very impressed already after the first few minutes of semi-blind testing and cranking its knobs )) + Hope that you will give us some additional clues about various FXes used

1 Like

hoooooho Bret! Thank you for that! Here is my feedback on it

3 Likes

I have to admit… seeing so many Satanonaut’s made me gasp “OH MY GOD!” I never planned on people using so many! I’m glad that the CPU didn’t go through the roof!

I connect the output from one, into the input of another, with interesting results.

2 Likes

Sure! Here’s what they are:

1. An effect where the sample is played forward and backwards at the same time. The parameter knobs control the forward playback speed and the length of the backwards loop
  2. A fairly simple dual delay
  3. A bytebeat equation is used to index the recording buffer. The parameters tweak the equation’s constants.
  4. Same as #3 but with a different equation
  5. Same as #3 but with a different equation
  6. Same as #3 but with a different equation
  7. Same as #3 but with a different equation
  8. Pieces of the incoming audio are sampled and looped
  9. Dual sine waves are used to index into the recording buffer and the output is mixed
  10. Cheap effect done by only outputting audio ever few samples (like using a square wave to modulate the amplitude)
  11. Keeps a buffer of input and outputs the average of the buffer’s contents. Parameter #1 controls the size of the buffer. Parameter 2… controls the divisor? I can’t recall what it does per se.
  12. Same as #3 but with a different equation
  13. Same as #3 but with a different equation
  14. Same as #3 but with a different equation
6 Likes

I love this thing but I sort of want the same thing but with a lot more control. I think that kind of defeats the purpose of the thing though. (also: thiiiiiiiiiiiiiing)

You’ve done CPU handling amazingly!!! 0.6% on my pretty much old 6cores xeon, comparing to your other devices it’s absolutely astonishing result, thanks again! Also Bret, could it be that glitches which are happened only when turning knobs or connecting CV control will not produce by the module? I know it’s maybe the part of the module engine but they are acting pretty much strange like overcomputing glitches or smth like that

Hi, thanks for the module, im having fun exploring it.

Question on the CV inputs, how do they work?

I can’t figure out exactly how they affect the params

For example, I was using mode 11, and manually set both params to around 0.5

When tweaking by hand I could get a stable sound that almost matched the input signals, and then a little bit off to either side caused some cool fuzz

But when I add a CV signal to either or both params it just ruins the whole sound

With a CV input of any constant value between -10 and +10 or with a slow triangle LFO, at no point does the output seem anywhere close to the sounds I can get by manually tweak the knobs

Also, the drive knob is way over powered, does it just multiply the input? (I tried to add a compressor / limiter to the output to tame the drive and see if the drive would impart some character, but didnt really feel any good results from that experiment)

Dont take this as negative, i love the module, just trying to understand how to get the best use out of it

Edit: I am streaming a patch on yt that i made using the satanonaut, really enjoying it https://youtu.be/aWKrhVmRCj0

1 Like

What type of controls would you like?

Those glitches are definitely part of the module. They happen because the position within the sample is being modulated by large amounts at the same time as the internal equations are affecting the sound. I didn’t fight against the glitches. Instead, I’m hoping that they might be considered features. Ha ha ha.

1 Like

This is great feedback. The CV inputs are calculated using:

int output = 0;

if(inputs[input_index].isConnected())
    {
      output = params[knob_index].getValue() * (inputs[input_index].getVoltage() / 10.0);
    }
    else
    {
      output = params[knob_index].getValue();
    }

output = clamp(output, min_value, max_value);

Which basically says:

1. If a cable is connected to the CV input, then multiply the knob (0 to 1.0) times the input (-1.0 to 1.0)
  2. If a cable is not present, then just use the knob value (0 to 1.0)

However, I’m open to suggestions! If you’d like an alternate CV control mechanism, I’d be happy to create an option for it. :slight_smile:

I was thinking a while ago that maybe it would be good to have a multiFX style thing in VCV. It seems a bit redundant but if people can make a semi modular synth like Interzone then a small multifx that just does the basics might be useful.

I like the idea! Let me think about it!

1 Like

Generally for my own modules I take the CV as an offset to the param, so if the param was manually set to +2.5 but the CV input was -1 volts, then the result would be a param of 1.5, if that makes sense

but there is also a fairly typical implementation whereby when the CV is connected, the knob becomes an attenuator, so say the knob was set to 12 o’clock, the CV signal would be divided by 2

I think either of these options is good, just personal preference

Sure, I can make that an option! I’ll try and have it completed this weekend. It will have to be an option under the context menu, just so it doesn’t mess with people’s existing patches. Thanks!!

Well, sure, but the “best” is the conventional solution. (CV * attenuverter) + knob.