new version of module 'Flying Fader' by Ahornberg

13 Likes

I really love this, thanks! Love how it looks and relative volume controls when faders are linked between, feels like analog console fingers cheating, so really cool.

EDIT: the only disadvantage - can’t get it working with MINDMELD mixer. It clamps any CV inputs to 0db on its faders. And when I’m trying to map its faders with Stoermelder CV-MAP I get kind of solution but wrong relative behavior, something like 4db or little more difference in almost all faders positions. Maybe other workaround is possible but requires additional VCA at the moment. Passing the audio through FlyingFader is not the deal for me because I love some pre-faders things like EQ, compression and etc and also FlyingFader doesn’t love polyphonic audio too :slight_smile: But it’s a pure winner for me as CV fader controller because of size and relative volume things. Thanks again!

Please post a screenshot or (better) a patch file of your not working pathc with Mindmeld Mixer and Stoermelder CV-MAP, so I can track down any bugs.

This is so cool :slight_smile: With an inverter in between you can make one slider go down when the other goes up - instant Sidechain 

Do you need summing a poly audio input to a mono audio output,
or do you wish real polyphony (poly audio in to poly audio out)?

CV can only be mono because there’s exact one fader on the module.

imho a poly in and poly out would be nice.

1 Like

@VCVRackIdeas Now I found out why the Flying Fader doesn’t work correctly with MindMeld mixers:

fader compairson

1. dB-scaling is different (see picture above). I modeled my fader based on the Fundamental mixer and not based on the MindeMeld mixer. Because of this, using Stoermelder CV-Map gives you wrong results.
  2. CV input on MindMeld mixer only lets you attenuate the fader value, so the only way to CV-control the full fader range is to put the fader all the way up to 6.0206dB (interestingly the same weird max-value as on the Fundamental mixer).

I’m actually working on a MixMaster mode for Flying Fader (see below). Would this solve your problems?

1 Like

That comes from the doubling of voltage (x2) when expressed in dB. So twice the voltage is a gain of G = 2, and

20\log_{10}(G) = 6.0206\ \mathrm{dB}

It’s easy to think that double the voltage is a nice and round 6 dB of gain, but mathematically it’s not a round number unfortunately :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A fact that I only learned a couple of weeks ago while testing Comp II. Wasted a day on that! In retrospect it’s obvious - how could that equation possible give exactly 6?

1 Like

Who ever could hear the difference of 0.0206 dB? :thinking:

I don’t think anyone is claiming that you can hear that, are they?

Because of that, on Flying Fader I set the max-value to +6 dB and not to +6.0206 dB. It looks more user friendly. For exact doubling the value of an input, I think it is better to use a dedicated math-module.

1 Like

Sure, that sounds like a fine feature to me, I don’t think anyone is criticizing that decision. Marc was just explaining what that funny number was.

3 Likes

Looks fine!

1 Like

If i recall correctly, 1dB was intended to be “perceivable difference”. However, when you take into account loudness contours and the more nuanced relationships between sounds (eg. masking) this no longer really holds true.

I don’t think i would claim to hear 0.2dB, but have found myself using 0.5dB steps in some cases.

That’s true. But I talked about 0.02 dB, not 0.2 dB.

It’s not about what you can hear or anything like that - it’s just the maths

If 5v = 0dB (as it does on a MM track) then 10v (a doubling of the voltage) must equal +6.0206dB

Sure you can clamp it at 6dB if you like

Regardless, If you have the fader up that high you probably have more serious problems to worry about than 0.02dB :slight_smile:

1 Like

my bad tired eyes!

1 Like

Version 1.6.2 released. It provides 2 additional context menu settings:

• Audio Polyphony Mode: can be set to ‘Poly In - Poly Out’ or ‘Poly In - Mono Out’ where mono out is the sum of all poly in signals. This feature was requested by @rsmus7

• CV-Scale Mode: can be set to ‘VCV Standard’ or ‘MindMeld MixMaster’ (see video below). This feature was requested by @VCVRackIdeas

3 Likes