New Plaits modes, including a DX7!

I’ve got a Behringer Brains, no idea if and when that’ll get the equivalent extra sounds, but there’s always hope.

I know it shipped with a couple of extra algos but can it not be flashed with Mutable firmwares?

According to Émilie in the MI forum, the MI patch works on Plaits and most clones like Beehive but not Behringer Brains. So Brains will need its own patch.

yes, as most clones are just straight copies, but Brains has a few changes

Sorry to hear it but … nah, lets not go there :wink: I’m sure Uli has been informed, several times, about the problem; hope he sorts it quickly for you (genuinely!).

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/plaits-firmware-update/20719/223

20 Likes

Great news!

2 Likes

Super cool!

I’m still finding new ideas with the old firmware in VCV! Here’s some polyphonic particle noise into 8 Rings :smiley:

4 Likes

holy moly, the dx7 sound uploading capability is amazing. This module has nine lives.

And when there’s a vcv rack version with this new code, it’s going to blow my mind all over again.

1 Like

Final version 1.2 firmware with a small bugfix: Mutable Instruments | Plaits

4 Likes

Anyone know if this update is gonna port to vcv ?

I’ve heard that it will, maybe in not too long. But I can imagine there are some time consuming elements, particularly all the abilities to import new dx7 presets and the like probably require writing some new code for the different UI. But, that said, I do keep checking back every day just in case :slight_smile:

I’ve been procrastinating taking apart a patch that normally I would just duplicate in vcv rack and save for later.

Where did you hear that? Has a dev committed to doing it?

Oh, now that you say that, I realized I had misread a previous post and got the wrong idea. I thought this was posted from a dev who was taking on the task:

But I think it was just someone quoting Emilie.

So, apparently there is not someone tackling it!

1 Like

The source for the new Plaits models has just been uploaded by Émilie.

15 Likes

woahhhh, good catch!

1 Like

Actually it seems to be pretty simple to build yourself a custom version of Plaits / Macro Oscillator 2 including the additional 8 models. Just download AudibleInstruments-2 and the newest eurorack-master as well as the updated version of stmlib from git and put everything together into one directory. I have removed all the other modules except plaits to make my life easier, and adapted the makefile as well. There are some very minor compiler issues but they can be fixed pretty easily. Just be careful when you add the context menu for the additional types, the 8 new types start from 0-7 and not after the other already available 16 models.

I have only hacked a simple solution together via the context menu, no button presses etc yet, but I will look into this in the next couple of days and if anybody is interested I can provide a Windows build for the Plaits module only. (different plugin so that it does not override your existing ones)

There seem to be some Python scripts which convert SYX files into a C++ file so that Plaits can use them. I am not sure though if one can use their own SYX files without rebuilding the module.

7 Likes

Seems like a cool project!

Maybe you can use the plaits code to load settings by inputting an encoded audio signal to the “timbre” port ? that’s how the hardware works.

Patch bank editor