New Comp II module to use with Mind Meld mixers

Post-EQ:

Pre-EQ: The other way around.

3 Likes

no, it is not —
16 channels + 8 Grp/Aux = 24 // 3×8 = 24
So 3 x ins/3 x outs is already neccessary, imho :nerd_face:

I know you got it. :wink:

Hi Bruce, is it possible to reduce release time (crucial for fast sounds…) and increase attack time (just fancy suggestion) in the near future? Cheers!

4 Likes

I am seriously considering increasing the range. What would you suggest?

100ms for the attack time and 5ms (or even 1ms but I’m not sure) for the release time.

The other suggestion is got was 0 to 350 for attack and 5 to 1000 for release. What do you think of that?

1 Like

I would certainly welcome less than 100ms.

Yes, the suggestions to increase the range make a lot of sense to me. Honestly I made Comp and just used “typical” ranges from hardware. Then when I made Comp II I just carried it over without thinking much about it.

And here - I’ve even done the typing: Increase the range of attack and release for Comp II · Issue #218 · squinkylabs/SquinkyVCV · GitHub

Heck, while I’m on a roll I’ll enter a bug, too. Comp II : Initialize menu item doesn't work · Issue #219 · squinkylabs/SquinkyVCV · GitHub

wow yeah. Maximum release could be more for the master bus but in the case we have channel compressors so not so big deal

True, they might as well have the option of using my compressors for master bus. They are pretty good, after all.

3 Likes

I realized shortly after suggesting these ranges that the release already goes up to 1.6 seconds. So I wouldn’t cap it at 1 second. So, 5ms to 1600ms should be fine for the release :slight_smile:

Oh, good point - right you are! yes I would not have reduced it, but tx for pointing it out.

I’m not near my PC right now or I’d just try it, but am I right in thinking that to sidechain a kick, that you’d feed it into the SC input off all three of those polychained modules? If that’s right and the kick is going into one of the tracks how could you ‘unsidechain’ it?

I’m not sure I understand exactly, but a) the sidechain input is polyphonic, so if you feed it ‘n’ channels they will all go to different compressors. b) like poly inputs are supposed to do, if you feed a mono signal it does go to all channels. c) the side-chain enable button is per channel, just like most of the controls on the panel, so you can turn it off for any channels where you don’t want it.

I think maybe the manual needs some more words to cover this…

So simple example, if I have 8 tracks and want tracks 2 to 8 to pump in relation to a kick on track 1 would I be sending the mono kick to the SC port?

Yes, that sounds reasonable. But then you have to turn off the SC on other channels if you are using them and don’t want that.

1 Like

got it, thanks

btw, it you look back at the block diagram in the manual it kind of shows this. But of course the whole poly/mono stuff is not addressed there…

yes, I’d forgotten like all the poly aux expanders that you can set a different value for SC per track as it remembers that

1 Like