Neither SurgeXT nor VCV Free plugins are installing/updating in VCVRack (Arch Linux 6.3.x)

It would be even nicer if someone can remove or fix the broken AUR build. Like I said we are getting a support request across forums with some regularity on this in surge xt. I don’t know how to do this. I run macos ubuntu and windows,

2 Likes

I dont think it is possible to fix this situation. Rack APIs make heavy use of libraries for which the ABI is not the most stable… Recently it was the case of libzstd version mismatch, that was worked around by hiding those symbols and not allowing plugins to use them.

But this kinda thing will keep happening, there is no way around it… plugins typically are meant to have a single entry point which gives a struct or class and expands from there. Rack uses libcurl, libsamplerate, libarchive, libspeexdsp, osdialog… (I mean, it is quite a few libs) which end up being part of what is considered a public API/SDK. These same libraries also exist as system ones on Linux systems, we are bound to have conflicts when the Rack builds vs distro builds mismatch. It happens more often on ArchLinux because as rolling release it updates more often and it is first in line to catch these issues.

The way to go is as you mention, if using a Rack build from AUR then the plugins should also all be from AUR. In my opinion the AUR build should disable online access, it is by chance if binaries from VCV work or not in this case.

2 Likes

whoever made that AUR build should do that, I agree. Or remove the broken build. or build in the rack docker image.

but the situation now - where there is an easy to use subtly broken community distro of rack on arch - is painful.

i guess the free modules also not working in the AUR version will darwinianly fix the problem.

1 Like

I added that comment on what appears to be the GitHub for the packages.

1 Like

Yes, that’s why as Arch users we are targets for mockery and abuse. We seem to suffer the most while operating on the bleeding edge of Linux distros. :wink:

You can thank us for boldly going where no man --help has gone before. :vulcan_salute:

Meanwhile, I’m still flailing about setting up the direct download to start up more gracefully (like the AUR version installation) to fully enjoy the fruits of SurgeXT, etc. I’ll get there!

Thank you again to all who have helped me get this far … I’ve learned a lot more about the structure of Rack and its plugins through the process :+1:

1 Like

I hope my comments didn’t come across as either! Every generation makes a linux distro on the bleeding edge which teaches us a lot about why it doesn’t work, and Arch is definitely the flavor-du-jour of such a strategy.

If you check out that GitHub thread, you see the maintainer points out there is a vcvrack-bin package which may just do what you need.

1 Like

No worries! I thought this was just good-spirited banter :slight_smile:

Will check out the GitHub thread - thx!

UPDATE FOR ANY FELLOW TRAVELERS READING THIS THREAD…

@baconpaul As posted on the git page, thank you again for leading me there.

I was able to makepkg and makepkg --install the bin-git package. SurgeXT and VCVFree plugins now install properly.

FWIW, vcvrack is only 2.2.3 in the bin-git version and is encouraging me to upgrade to 2.3.0 (via the red dot on the Help menu). Having failed miserably before in getting those plugins to install via the RackFree-2.3.0-lin-x64.zip package that upgrading offers as a download, it seems like I’ll just have to wait for someone to produce a bin-git based on the 2.3.0 version. But for now, I’m good to go! :+1:

3 Likes

The package for bin looks easy to upgrade

The AUR is setup so you can’t comment on a package unless you install arch first. Pretty developer hostile choice. But since you run arch you could comment on it and ask them to bump the version I guess.

Done.

1 Like

Hi, another arch linux user here popping in to say that if you are using the proaudio alternative package repo under arch linux it has the exact same issues as the version mentioned in the AUR (possibly the same package maintainers) and you have to do what LarsBjerregaard said and install Rack directly downloaded from the vcvrack website

The GitHub issue I posted above may bring that to the devs attention

Their package is just broken if you want to use library plugins and until they fix their libc problem will remain so