need help - Sampler for live playing

Hi, I’m not very good at using logic modules and feel stuck.

What do I need?

I want to capture live sound from a microphone. If it exceeds a certain level, it will automatically trigger a sampler recording (e.g. sickoSampler). It will then record for 30 seconds and then immediately play back the recorded section.

The problem is that I don’t know how to do this if the microphone signal repeatedly exceeds the level and this triggers the sampler to record repeatedly.

So I need to make it so that after it starts recording, the sampler won’t respond to the other triggers (which are exceeding the limit from the mic) for a full minute.

I may be starting to figure out how to do this, but if anyone is faster I’d appreciate it. :slight_smile: I know there are counter modules, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to wire it all up.

Maybe with one of the Count Modula burst generators since by default there is a retrigger setting which is off. You could send the trigger through it and use the start trigger output to trigger the sampler recording and any subsequent triggers sent to the burst generator won’t go through until a set number of clock pulses have happened.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m going to give it a try.

I was doing something similar just the other day! You may be interested in this:

As you can see, you need: Bogaudio (edge and bool) ZZC (clock) BaconMusic (sampledelay)

And Stochastic Telegraph (all the others)

Memory autostop&start.vcvs (7.7 KB)

Patch a gate to the EDGE input, when it opens, the clock starts. The Fuse module sends the gate through to the recording module. When the Fuse blows it closes, and the gate gets sent to the playback module instead. Closing the gate will wipe the memory and reset the rec/play heads to 0.

Like it says, just set memory to your desired recording length (in seconds) and the fuse to that plus one. Note that you must manually press reset on the memory for the length adjustment to apply.

P.S. If you would rather use Sickosampler I imagine it’d be possible to transfer the clock and fuse setup to it. If the replacement rec/play controls respond to trigs instead of gates it may need some finnessing though. But you can probably figure it out. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

you can use the simpliciter in PRE-record mode and use one of the nysthi
Envelope in busy mode to avoid retriggering if the ADSR (or AR) is running high or you can put a threshold trigger.
BTW I wont’ trust an audio signal

you need a detector to calibrate it(envelopeFollower ?)

2 Likes

I use this trick:

you feed audio into the envelope follower and set the threshold

you arm the buffer with the first button and the first time the audio signal goes above the threshold you get a trigger. to have another trigger you have to arm the buffer again (manually or with another trigger/gate)

hope it works for you

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, in the meantime I found my own solution that works. :slight_smile: I’ll definitely try yours as well.

I used three count modula filters, Hora envelope follower and Lilac Looper. As a new user I can’t upload *.vcvs right now.

3 Likes