Need help making a desktop shortcut for Rack. Error finding res directory

I get the following error when trying to run Rack from a desktop file I made so it would show up in my normal applications folder. Rack launches fine when I double click on the binary but I want the application to show up with my other apps.

“Rack’s resource directory “./res” does not exist. Make sure Rack is correctly installed and launched”

vcvrack.desktop file that I created is located here and contains:

home/.local/share/applications

[Desktop Entry] Type=Application Name=VCV Rack Comment=Modular Synthesis Icon=/home/evan/Software/Rack/res/icon.png Exec=/home/evan/Software/Rack/Rack Terminal=false Categories=Audio;Music Keywords=Music

Can anyone help?

I am on Pop OS 20.04

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=VCV Rack
Comment=Modular Synthesis
Icon=/home/evan/Software/Rack/res/icon.png
Exec=/home/evan/Software/Rack/Rack
Terminal=false
Categories=Audio;Music
Keywords=Music

what OS is that?

on Linux (rack used to have rendering issues running from other location ) I have a script to run the rack from a hidden folder then I have a launcher for the script (I use the common menu editor for it)

#!/bin/sh
cd .Rack
./Rack

On Linux, the Rack system folder is the working directory, so you need to set it with

Path=/path/to/Rack

^Clicking the Rack binary here opens to program as expected.

So what I thought I needed to do to make Rack show up with my other applications was create a Desktop Entry and place it where my other application shortcuts are. I am able to see the shortcut to Rack when I super key with my other applications but when I click on the icon I get the error message

“Rack’s resource directory “./res” does not exist. Make sure Rack is correctly installed and launched” image

It obviously does exist because I can open it fine when I manually click on the binary as described in the beginning.

I am open to doing it another way, I just want to see Rack alongside my other applications.

Pop OS is a branch of Ubuntu.

Linux n00b too by the way.

did you tried set as Andrew described?

https://coroto.gitbook.io/linux-audio-survival-kit/

Yes! I modified my desktop entry file with

Path=/path/to/Rack

and now it works!

Thanks Andrew and David for the help!

1 Like