Navigate thru XY coordinates of audio sources

upcoming project needs a 2D box, and using two inputs (one for X and one for Y) I want to navigate around inside the box (the green dot in the drawing)

There are several audio sources inside the box at specific fixed XY coordinates (the red dots in the drawing) each red dot is a looping WAV sample of a different person talking. Depending on what the navigation XY values are at the XY inputs, the volume of each of the samples will be different. If you’re closer to the red dot it’s louder.

I think stereo will be cool to have in the future, but basically I’d like this to work in mono too, just using volume.

Finally, I’d like to control the curve and length of how each individual red dots audio sample falls off, for example one dot you can’t hear until your very close to it, another is audible from much farther away.

I can’t wrap my head around this. You can get close to one of the nodes but then move past it and have it get softer in volume, that confuses me. I want some nodes to be near the edges with a small space you can go past, and others in the center with equal space on both sides etc…

Left to right is just panning, front to back could be level via VCA, fall off depending on distance an envelope modulated by the same CV that controls the VCA? Repeat per voice.

1 Like
1 Like

1 Like

Oh wow! Well… Peter’s solution is probably best, but I also created a solution “the hard way”:

3 Likes

Oh my God you used chat gpt!! This is really slick thank you so much

VCV Soundstage, the commercial module, is also pretty cool for mapping point audio sources to listening at points within a reflective room to model the reverb there.

You can use cv to automate your listening position in relation to the sources, have moving sources and even change the room dimensions on the fly.

3 Likes

You should probably look into using a low pass filter combined with a VCA for distance. As high frequencies fall away the further you are from the source. Or use Airwindows Distance which does this as well as add some ambience.

3 Likes