MP MIDI Controller

https://mpmidi.com

This controller looks really interesting.

1 Like

Really nice and reasonably priced. When VCV 2 is released this might get really interesting.

Hm, the wrapper looks interesting, but 32 rotary-encoders + touchscreen for 780ā‚¬ + VAT + duties seems overpriced to me.

wow, thatā€™s Pro Tools level of cost! fwiw I always found it very handy that the plugin parameters all show up on the control surface with Pro Tools.

Looks interesting! But not sure if this is the right price. It would not come out that you will overpay much more than the real cost of this device.

I know Behringer arenā€™t flavour of the month, but Iā€™m hoping their mooted update to the BCR2000, called BCR32, comes out because itā€™s got most of the features Iā€™d want without being crazily expensive.

Iā€™ve not watched the OP video but I did become seriously interested in this controller last November when it was a kickstarter, and had an email exchange with the dev.

I think it is excellent for VSTs. Either using a factory layout or your own you can map all your VSTs once and have hands on control of them.

I donā€™t think it is quite so great for virtual modulars though. You would have to map every patch from scratch each time (beyond things like mixing templates). It would work well if you used a fixed rack though or had certain ā€˜performance patchesā€™ that you like to play.

Yes, and sadly this would be true for every kind of controller.

1 Like

Has anyone tested the VCV Rack Pro VST with the MP MIDI Controller?

pffft ā€¦ I want what Hans hasā€¦

axelhartmanndesign

2 Likes

just reviving this thread to see if anyoneā€™s tried this with VCV yet? I am SERIOUSLY tempted to add this to my desk. I know youā€™d need to re-map each time, but I think it would be worth itā€¦

1 Like

I JUST ORDERED ONE!

BAH!

1 Like

How do you assign parameters?

I also just got a new coffee maker, so maybe Iā€™ll move this fast:

Exactly how I have imagine itā€¦ (pultec is in the house)

Humans are synchronized after all

ā€¦How the controller detect plugin focus?

IT HAS ARRIVED!

Coincidentally i just tested positive for Covid, so i will be off work for a few days. I will give a full report (maybe a youtube vid?) But for now some initial impressions after an hour or two:

• setup is not plug & play, but not too bad. Part of it is i already have a pretty complex 5-monitor system, so windows was like wtf, dudeā€¦

• i can confirm VCV does open without issue, and i can map knobs easily.

• there is a 3rd party plugin which they recommend ($45) to allow some enhanced tablet-style touch behaviour. I feel like that should just be included in the price, but if its 3rd party i suppose its not really in their control. Its not absolutely becessary, but i did get the demo and i plan to get it. Especially with VCV where youre panning & zooming all over the place i think it would be a solid investment.

• i didnā€™t realize this, but after mapping a parameter, the name will appear beside the encoder, which is great.

• one other pleasant surprise is that you can minimize the VST display and itā€™s just a touch-enabled monitor. So i keep my Reaper mixer there and i can ride the faders like its 1999!

• Build quality & packaging are quite nice. Included cables are comically short, though, like 1 meter.

• customer support has been phenomenal.

More to come for sure! I have gotten so much from this forum, so i look forward to giving back in some small way.

5 Likes

Thanks for reporting back. Will be very interested in hearing how it goes (as I said above - 2 years ago - I nearly went with the kickstarter).

Same here, almost ordered one a month ago but held off.

Full review coming in early 2024, but yeah, this thing is cool.

4 Likes

I finally finished the review! I posted on the main page, sorry to split the conversation, but I wanted to reach the most people.

3 Likes