Module ideas

UPDATE: Just found stoermelder 8FACE. I don’t know if that will work for me, but I’ll dig in and find out.

I’ve been dreaming of making a companion module to my Glitch Sequencer which can manage “snapshots” which would be CV selectable.

I know this may be waaaayyyy under conceptualized, but it would be cool if someone made a expander module that someone like me could use in a patch to accomplish this. Maybe any manufacturer could optionally choose to support snapshots.

Again, sorry if this is far fetched. Just thinking out loud.

3 Likes

Would it be possible to port MilkyTracker as a module ?

Because it’s open source and the whole interface is small enough to fit in a module.

It would need some modification for synchronization, though.

How would you see it working in the rack environment? As I understand it it’s a very monolithic design, concerned only with being a self-contained environment for the mod and xm format, not with MIDI out or anything like that. What would be the I/O, and intended use?

I have not tried it but see also this existing paid tracker for vcv:

2 Likes

I just thought it would be really cool to use it to accompany the modular stuff.

So just a few inputs for clock, start, stop and reset and a stereo output and the mobile interface on a module. It would be a very advanced sampler but without much interaction with other modules.

Now that I think about it maybe it doesn’t make too much sense :slight_smile: it would be cool but bring no real advantage.

a really great module! Use it very often!

Remember, this thread is for well-developed concepts, not one-line ideas.

Add as much detail as possible with examples, a summary of inputs, outputs, and parameters, “prior art” (previous similar modules for VCV Rack or hardware), and possible implementations.

DRUM CIRCLE? PERC CIRC? (warning: more thinking out loud due to lockdown boredom)

circular drum sequencer. module would have a screen with a circular grid (grid: think simplified Patterning2). toggle switch or right click the grid to select between 8, 16, 32 steps in the circle. enter step by clicking on position/step within the circular grid highlighting the step and drawing in the level.

i was thinking it would be a single voice module and you could create multiple instances for each percussion sound or a single module with a bank of 4 grids that you could switch between to edit each sound individually. only one grid visible on screen at a time hence the user selectable bank. i prefer the single voice module idea because it would allow you to process each voice in different ways in the patch (bit crush, reverb ect).

cv ins: clock, run, switch for reverse with cv input.

outputs: trigger(s)

if you think its a good idea feel free to add some features. im sure i probably forgot some basic features that should be in there like ratcheting but wasnt sure how to implement that.

I’m working something like that for quite some time now. It was not intentionally meant for drums, but you’ll be free to use this sequencer for drums only :wink:

3 Likes

looking forward to seeing a sneak peak. whats the ETA?

SEAPOWER44.pdf (100.5 KB)

see you on the other suide (:-

All the best plugins already sub-sample their parameter updates. Of so I’ve been told. https://github.com/squinkylabs/SquinkyVCV/blob/master/docs/efficient-plugins.md#lower-sample-rates

1 Like

Would this be such a crazy idea? A MIDI breakout module. I know they already exist in a smaller footprint but… Instead of having to create a link for each allocated CC, the allocation is already made and just waiting for the designated code to arrive. Devices with a large number of controllers (BRC2000 etc) would benefit greatly.

The following is a ‘very rough’ illustration. Each output socket would be numbered (0-127) and we all know a dev who can squeeze a large number of sockets into a very small space!!

1 Like

As always, give me a private or public heads-up if you adopt this idea, since I might do it and am posting it in part to gather feedback.

Gesture-programmed live 303-style sequencer

I noticed the Intellijel Metropolis in the rack of a few artists I like - seems great for live play. In VCV, Bidoo’s dTrOY and bordL are similar. They reproduce the interaction pattern of knobs and sliders.

But honestly, I find those awkward for live tweaking. It’d be interesting to explore more digitally native interaction patterns that acknowledge the user’s pointing device. This idea sacrifices features in favor of ease of live play.

It would be a family of modules with an interactive display showing a grid of 8x8 / 16x8 / 32x8 buttons. When you click and drag on a button, it applies a modifier to that step.
Mouse gestures, which I first discovered as implemented in old versions of the Opera browser, are a precise and fast input method that work reliably in practice - so long as you keep them as simple 4 directional inputs rather than street fighter special attack combos.

For ease of input, you’d pick your scale, to ensure the grid is big enough to be practical (12 buttons vertically is a lot, 8 is more manageable. I also have ideas to use this as an arpeggiator if you pass it a poly V/OCT chord as input).

This is what the gestures could mean:

Click: Toggle from OFF to ON, from ON to OFF, and from ACCENT to OFF.
Double-click: Set step to ACCENT

After a click that sets a step to either ON or ACCENT, if you hold and drag (beyond the boundaries of the button on the module) before releasing the left mouse button:

:arrow_up:: +1 octave
:arrow_down:: -1 octave
:arrow_down::arrow_up:: +2 octaves
:arrow_up::arrow_down:: -2 octaves
:arrow_right:: Tie/slide
:arrow_left:: User-configurable (slide, repeat, ratchet…)

Examples:
Click (hold):arrow_up::arrow_right:(release): Toggle step from OFF to ON, transposed 1 octave up, gate tied into next step
Double-click (hold) :arrow_right::arrow_up::arrow_down: (release): Enable step with ACCENT, transposed 2 octaves down, gate tied into next step

I hope I’m explaining the idea properly, It’s way harder to convey in text than visually.

4 Likes

it is a kindof midi cc explorer/ editor?

Morphing Effects Processor

I have no idea if this is feasible, but I would love to see a hardware port of an old outboard FX unit called the Lexicon Vortex. I still have one of these in the loft, it dates back to the mid-90’s and I’m surprised they never became more popular. Basically, it did fairly standard effects like a resonator/ring mod, and various delay based flange/chorus type modulation. The killer feature was ‘morphing’ between presets. You could change between two versions of the same effect for something basic like speeding up a rotary speaker effect, or morph from one effect into a completely different one, making completely new effects in between: “Morphing is a complete parametric and algorithmic restructuring of two independent effects, rather than a simple crossfade and you can morph between any two effects you have created.” It wouldn’t need too many controls, because the whole point was to morph between two sets of pre-configured parameters and if you were modulating them already by CV it wouldn’t work in the same way. The ‘B’ presets were supposed to be more extreme. The original just had wet/dry and input gain knobs, stereo in/outs and a rotary selector with 16 presets. Which patch you morphed to was stored as part of the preset, and there was an A/B footswitch input which you would replicate with a CV trigger. The morph time was stored as part of the preset, and went up to 30 seconds. That could be CV controlled, and you would also need some way editing the presets and which one you morph to. There weren’t many parameters on the original, so maybe split the panel in two sections, A and B. Four parameter knobs on each side, and maybe eight buttons in each section, controlling which effect is active on either side of the A/B ‘morph’.

I know very little about DSP, but if something like Clouds has been done then this should be possible in theory? Although with Lexicon being a big corporation and the algorithms being proprietary…I don’t know. Article if you’re interested:

Edit: link to manual, containing FX block diagrams: https://lexiconpro.com/en/product_documents/vortex_multi_user_guidepdf

Are you simply trying to avoid using 8 VCV MIDI-CC modules? I can make presets for CC 0-15, 16-31, 32-47, etc. if you’d like.

Yes, Andrew, I suppose that would be a way of looking at it. However one module would take up less space, involve less setup and be an elegant solution now that control devices are offering more ‘knobs’. It occurred to me given that there has been talk in the various VCV forums of building racks that emulate specific hardware. Just a thought, but I do acknowledge that there are ways of doing this with existing modules.

Oh yes, I forgot to say; Presets would be a useful addition to the existing VCV module

11 posts were split to a new topic: Morphing Effects Processor module idea