Module ideas

doesn’t seem to accept poly inputs though, unless i’m mistaken

I think (hope?) that most people would find a piano roll editor easier than textual tab, but I can see for a hard-core guitarist it would be cool.

1 Like

it’s not poly, but 20 channels are a lot consumes a lot (depends on the resolution of the clock)

Probably true Bruce, but there is an awful lot of guitar tab already out there that would just need some massaging.

1 Like

there are an awful lot of tab to midi file converters out there :wink:

Thanks Bruce, hadn’t come across one that worked before but after your advice I did! Legend, much appreciated!

1 Like

POLY PITCH-SHIFTER: 1 stereo audio input, 1 stereo (o polyphonic I don’t know) output but 1 polyphonic cv for the pitch-shifter to multiplicate the audio in different pitches and create chords.

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to do this for forever but haven’t found the time. It’s odd that someone hasn’t done it before. Would be 100 lines of code with Sound Touch or Rubberband.

warning - probably a dumb idea

Sacred Scrolls a not so blank blank panel. scrolling matrix LED display panel. click on blank LED matrix to enter text and select color. for naming your patch or whatever else.

Does Rubberband do real-time? The examples on the website sound great, but I haven’t been able to find any code examples.

It works in real time but you need to do some heavy buffering (which causes latency) to ensure RubberBand has enough input audio to work with. It might not be the ideal thing to implement for use with something like Rack, but since it isn’t hugely difficult to do, it would be an interesting thing to try out anyway.

I wonder what algorithm Ben Bloomberg used for Jacob Collier’s harmonizer.

They have a reference LADSPA plugin at https://github.com/breakfastquay/rubberband/tree/master/ladspa that is designed for real-time use of Rubberband.

This is going to be the case with all DSP algorithms like this. Typically the buffer size is user-adjustable, so just make this available to the user somehow.

Jacob’s effect isn’t just pitch-shifting in realtime, it’s computing the pitch Jacob is singing and pitch shifting the correct amount to obtain each pitch. For example, if it detects Jacob is singing A4 (which is just as complicated as pitch-shifting algorithms) and pressing C4 on the keyboard, it will know to shift -9.00 semitones. What he’s using could be any VST plugin or hardware box on the market. Izotope Nectar, Anteres Autotune, Melodyne, etc.

1 Like

Circular buffer audio recorder: a module that continuously records a long chunk of audio input to a lossless file, to use in addition to manual recording modules, to be able to commit to tape those happy accidents you can’t make happen again.

Similar to how, for example, the Playstation 4 constantly keeps in memory the last 15 minutes of video behind the scenes, and a “Share” button on the gamepad lets you save it to a file to share a gameplay moment.

3 Likes

Your hard drive can store a year of MP3/Opus, so what’s the point of only keeping the last 15 minutes?

1 Like

I would imagine it’s so you can have a lossless recording per mixer channel per rack save file. adds up, especially if you’re jamming for hours at a time

The module should definitely store as much as the user wants! The PS4 example was mostly to explain the intended use case.

Edit - To be more precise: it’s a hedge against “I should have recorded that” moments, that you can safely keep running in the background for hours, and where you don’t have to listen to archives to determine which ones you want to save, since it deletes by default.

4 Likes

It would probably need to store the audio into memory or an uncompressed file first. As far as I see, it wouldn’t be possible to directly do circular recording into a lossless compressed file because those are variable bit rate.

That’s my idea as well, people who need this feature can probably easily budget the space for an hour of stereo WAV. Upon pressing the “Save” button, the module would re-align the start buffer and leave it up to the user to trim and convert it in an audio editor.

2 Likes

OBS replay buffer, NVIDIA shadow etc lots of reply buffers available. Using OBS you just have to have the program open and you can assign a hotkey to start the replay buffer, for any length of time. This is video obviously but if what you have recorded is really good you could extract the audio or possibly route it into Rack and record directly. Unsure if you can set the replay buffer to record audio seems likely, there could be a obs plugin for that!?