Module ideas

what is a CA?

Sorry for making assumptions- CA meaning Cellular Automaton.

There’s already modules like Aunty Langton’s or Conway’s Game of Life, but what a “mass-conserving” twist does is open up more rule spaces, but not explode or erode (which then is useless for value-shifting).

With four states and possible module outs including signal, gate, summed, step, … I see a lot of fun.

Heck, throw a Bernoulli-switchable Euclidean shifter (treating each step of the CA as a buffer of n length) in, for additional fun factor!

2 Likes

Not sure if Arena does this ↑ @stoermelder

I created a working prototype for this idea, using the speex resampler bundled with Rack. Just one question about the 1V/oct inputs: It is meant to record/play e.g. at 0V with default speed (= current samplerate), -1V half speed and 1V double speed?

For more GUI/functionality ideas, there is/was the boids VST delay effect by ToneCarver.

speexdsp doesn’t support changing the sample rate over time without resetting its state, which you’ll definitely need for that module, so you should use libsamplerate.

Yes, 0V should correspond with current sample rate, etc. As a weird example, if you give both input/output pitch inputs -5V, it will downsample from Rack’s engine sample rate to Rack's engine sample rate * 2^(-5), which will be very low (e.g. 1378 Hz), store into the buffer queue, and upsample when played back. In this case, recording and playback speed will be the same, so the buffer will always store roughly a fixed amount of samples.

feidah-s perfect!!

we definitely need some sort of sample-based granulator! BubbleBlower in audiomulch would serve as a good model (except it seems to be missing a “position” control) http://www.audiomulch.com/help/contraption-ref/BubbleBlower

2 Likes

This is kind of out there but what about…

Temporary Library Module: If you open a patch that uses a module from the library that you don’t have installed, this module has access to every module in the library and fills for the missing module without having to install anything.

1 Like

Been thinking the same thing now for a while now. Would love something in VCV similar to Granulator2 like they have in Max4Live. It makes the most amazing stereo instruments, textures, & soundscapes that I can’t quite achieve by other means.

I think It would be better if vcv just asked you “hey do you wnt to download these modules that are in this patch that you don’t have?” (or words to that effect).

1 Like

Not possible to make a module like this with the Rack API.

this would be good too, but entropy dictates that you’d end up with all the modules installed

I’d love to see a module that does what the old LiveCut VST (http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/livecut/) does. Especially as I can’t use the plugin in the Host module.

Apparently it’s based on the BBCut library for Supercollider (https://github.com/snappizz/BBCut)

I know nothing about coding, but maybe for someone who does know it wouldn’t be too hard to port to a VCV Rack module?

Read the original post/rules. A one sentence description is not a “module idea”. The purpose of this thread is to design and explain hypothetical functionality, ports, knobs, and behavior of a module you would like to have created. By thinking more about your idea, you can filter out bad concepts and untangle your idea into something that doesn’t have any obvious design flaws for those reading them.

Bezier Sequncer: This idea is based of Hive2’s Shape Sequencer, but the basic idea is you have maybe 8 or 16 steps where you can draw Bezier-style curves to define the shape for each step. The vertical axis of the shape represents the voltage, and the horizontal axis represents the entire step length. There is a global input for Clock, Reset, Run, and outputs for CV, Gate, V/Oct. Additionally, allow for the shapes to act as complex envelopes (MSEGs) with a trigger mode/input, or complex LFO’s via a loop mode. Each step should have some kind of gate probability knob for randomization, in addition to an on/off mode. The total step length number should also be able to be modulated. Bonus points of V/Oct can be quantized to scale within the module itself, but ok if not. The idea is this unit could be used to sequence notes, CV, act as an MSEG, LFO, etc.

EDIT Would be nice if there was also a per-step quantize, so the CV output would always reflect the step exactly as drawn, but the V/Oct output could either have smooth (like CV) or quantized [to scale] output. Why per-step? Because you may want quantized and unquantized slides in the same sequence. Example 1: I want to sequence some notes and have 303-style slides, so I keep step quantize off for that step and draw some slides. Example 2: I want a “gliss” type effect as the pitch locks from note to note according to the quantized scale, so I have step quantize on for that step.

3 Likes

Timeline. Just that, a time line for orchestrations etc.

I envision two modules, one the actual time line and the second a timeline client. The whole thing would be a pub/sub bus where the clients listen to the line and can perform only two very simple actions. A signal on the start-output and a signal on the stop-output. On the time line you set an action at the desired time, that action has a message id, say, ‘bassesection’, just type it in and select start or stop. Then add a client that listens to ‘bassection’, again, just type it in.

For the ‘bus’ I envision the use of NNG (scalability protocols) that offers all kind of messaging ways and these can be used inter-, intra-process and on networks, TCP, websockets or even through the ZeroTier ‘vpn’.

Now the fun thing would be to send messages from one rack to an other.

1 Like

Just a note, as soon as you start manipulating the curves in real time you’ll have to fall back to the slowest calculations. With some pre-calculation static splines can be fast.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190309181735/http://www.antigrain.com/research/adaptive_bezier/index.html

for the beziers, stay tuned to the nysthi channel… :wink:

4 Likes

Freesound.org streamer simular to the CTAG Strämpler

2 Likes