Module ideas

Yes, been thinking about this about quite some time actually. Let’s not hijack this topic, but discuss it on github instead :wink:

2 Likes

cv recorder: have you ever tried LOGAN20 ? 20 cv tracks of recording

3 Likes

nysthi 4hands can record 1000 keyframes of 20 cv values (and playback too)

2 Likes

Don’t think anybody’s gonna take it but hey, worth a shot, I guess…

A port to VCV of the Buchla 258

The 258 is a set of two oscillators with:

• Smooth morph between sine and sawtooth waveforms.
  • Three copies of the main output for each oscillator.
  • Two FM inputs for each oscillator, allowing for a profound cross-modulation canvas.
  • Additional V/oct input on the side for each oscillator, leaving both FM inputs free to be used for patching fart sounds from out of this dimension.
  • Frequency control that goes from a snail-slow 5 cycles-per-second to 20 kilo-cycles, spanning the entire human audible spectrum and lower frequencies for LFO duties.

I’d be happy to be of help by looking for schematics and anything else to help make this port possible.

1 Like

Is there a current module to extract CV signals from (1) spectral flatness/tonality coefficient, and from (2) spectral centroid?

How about a generator/sequencer based on a 4-state mass-conserving CA ? :slight_smile:

Remember:

Done and done, thanks.

what is a CA?

Sorry for making assumptions- CA meaning Cellular Automaton.

There’s already modules like Aunty Langton’s or Conway’s Game of Life, but what a “mass-conserving” twist does is open up more rule spaces, but not explode or erode (which then is useless for value-shifting).

With four states and possible module outs including signal, gate, summed, step, … I see a lot of fun.

Heck, throw a Bernoulli-switchable Euclidean shifter (treating each step of the CA as a buffer of n length) in, for additional fun factor!

2 Likes

Not sure if Arena does this ↑ @stoermelder

I created a working prototype for this idea, using the speex resampler bundled with Rack. Just one question about the 1V/oct inputs: It is meant to record/play e.g. at 0V with default speed (= current samplerate), -1V half speed and 1V double speed?

For more GUI/functionality ideas, there is/was the boids VST delay effect by ToneCarver.

speexdsp doesn’t support changing the sample rate over time without resetting its state, which you’ll definitely need for that module, so you should use libsamplerate.

Yes, 0V should correspond with current sample rate, etc. As a weird example, if you give both input/output pitch inputs -5V, it will downsample from Rack’s engine sample rate to Rack's engine sample rate * 2^(-5), which will be very low (e.g. 1378 Hz), store into the buffer queue, and upsample when played back. In this case, recording and playback speed will be the same, so the buffer will always store roughly a fixed amount of samples.

feidah-s perfect!!

we definitely need some sort of sample-based granulator! BubbleBlower in audiomulch would serve as a good model (except it seems to be missing a “position” control) http://www.audiomulch.com/help/contraption-ref/BubbleBlower

2 Likes

This is kind of out there but what about…

Temporary Library Module: If you open a patch that uses a module from the library that you don’t have installed, this module has access to every module in the library and fills for the missing module without having to install anything.

1 Like

Been thinking the same thing now for a while now. Would love something in VCV similar to Granulator2 like they have in Max4Live. It makes the most amazing stereo instruments, textures, & soundscapes that I can’t quite achieve by other means.

I think It would be better if vcv just asked you “hey do you wnt to download these modules that are in this patch that you don’t have?” (or words to that effect).

1 Like

Not possible to make a module like this with the Rack API.