Module ideas

EMILE

Image to sound. Load a png via the menu and EMILE reads the picture as a spectrogram. Low frequencies are at the bottom of the picture.

3 Likes

If I understand this right, my DHE-Modules Func 6 module might be able to help… up to a point. If you send an input signal to its first channel, then configure each channel to multiply by 2, you get a 64x (i.e. 2^6) signal from the last channel.

That said, if all you want is a signal boost, I can envision a module that would do that with a lot less width than Func 6. An input port, an output port, a knob, and maybe a switch to select the scale of the knob (10, 100, 1000, whatever scales would be useful).

What scales did you have in mind?

you’re welcome to use gain feature in right click menu of each track on MindMeld mixer, super handy

5 Likes

Cirklon emulation: Would be fun.

3 Likes

Thanks.

I have a Word document with hundreds of VCV module ideas…here’s a few.

Transcritical Bifurcator:

• A module that uses transcritical bifurcation to animate waveforms. You would just need an input, output, Range knob with CV in, and Rate knob with CV in, so I figure you could probably stack two identical bifurcators on top of one another in one skinny module.

Variable Fractal Shaper:

• A module that applies fractals to incoming waveforms - meant to be used with multiple VFSs in sequence.
  • 5 knobs, each with CV inputs: Amount, Width, Offset, Skew, and Lacunarity (determines how many instances of the waveform are skipped over in the fractalizing process)
  • In/Out

Rotating Slope Comparator:

• A slope comparator with a 360-degree rotatable angle of comparison
  • Angle (0-360) knob with CV in
  • Signal In and External Angle inputs
  • 5 outputs: Match Trig, Match Gate, Above Gate, Below Gate, Difference Envelope (built-in envelope follower that follows the difference between the angle of the input signal and the internal or external angle)

Advanced Syncing Suite:

• A module that collects all the various types of waveform sync (most of which almost never get used) under one roof.
  • 2 halves: Active (top) and Passive (bottom).
  • Active half: 2 inputs (X and Y), Adjustment knob with CV in, selector between Variable Sync (Adj knob = soft->hard), Fixed Threshold Sync (Adj knob = Threshold), Relative Threshold Sync (Adj kob = Threshold), and Reset Inhibit Sync (Adj knob = Threshold); selector also has a CV in for automated cycling, with Slew knob (+CV in) for continuous morphing between types; Cycle Direction toggle (up/down/random), out
  • Passive half: 2 inputs (X and Y; normalled to Active inputs when left open), selector (with trig in + Slew + Cycle Direction) between Hard Sync, Reversing Sync, Overlap Sync, Phase Advance Sync, and Low Threshold Sync

Uncommon Binary Function Generator:

• 4 sections, each with 2 inputs (X and Y) and 1 output: Amplitude Modulation (knob goes to 200%), Convolution, Cross-Correlation, and Average

Morphing Triangle Oscillator.

• Triangle core with 3 waveshaping knobs: Skew, Step, and Diet (all with CV in)
  • Skew moves the peak left or right, creating a saw when all the way left and a reverse saw when all the way right
  • Step puts an S&H on the wave, going from a smooth slide to a staircase to a 50/50 pulse
  • Diet changes the curve of both slopes from linear (as in a normal triangle) to exponential all the way left and reverse exponential all the way right)
  • Octave and Fine tuning knobs + FM Amount knob in a row below the 3 morph knobs
  • All 6 knobs have CV inputs (and possibly CV attenuverters)
  • 1v/oct and Sync inputs
  • Output

Quadrature Trapezoid Oscillator (like the Doepfer A-110-6):

• 4 knobs (Exponential Tune, Exponential FM, Linear Frequency Control, Linear FM)
  • 1 VCO/LFO selector
  • 4 inputs (2x 1v/oct, LFM in, XFM in)
  • 8 outputs (trapezoid sine, trapezoid cosine, triangle sine, triangle cosine, rectangle sine, rectangle cosine, saw sine, saw cosine)

Variable Filter Bank:

• A fixed filter bank with 8 bands, but each band has adjustable values
  • Default settings for the bands are Moog 907/A values (250, 350, 700, 1k, 1.4k, 2k, 2.8k)
  • 8 Band Level knobs (typical filter bank panel)
  • 8 Band Value knobs
  • LP and HP knobs
  • “Snap” button snaps each band to the nearest 100 Hz
  • All 16 band knobs have associated CV inputs

Voltage-Controlled Synthacon Filter:

• 3 inputs (LP, HP, BP), each with attenuation knob for incoming level
  • Frequency and Resonance knobs
  • Volume Compensation on/off switch
  • Diode/Vactrol type selector (possibly)
  • CV inputs for Freq, Res, and all 3 Level knobs

Seven-Stage Tracking Envelope:

• EG with 7 stages: DAHDSHR (each with its own slider)
  • Rate knob that adjusts the total time scale of the envelope
  • 3 contour knobs (exponential->linear->reverse exponential) for attack, decay, and release
  • Each stage has an associated CV input and attenuverter
  • Vactrol Response knob (if possible)
  • Sustain/Hold selector (when in Hold mode the Sustain slider controls time, not level (matching the other 2 Hold stages))
  • Mode selector (one-shot, two-shot, loop, ping-pong, random pong)
  • Retrig button and input
  • CV inputs for Rate, all 3 contour knobs, Response knob
  • Gate input
  • 10 outputs: 7 End of Stage outputs, Out, Inverse Out, Burst Out (triggers on every stage)

Three Stage Envelope Matrix:

• 3x3 matrix of ASR/AHR envelopes
  • knobs for each of the 9 envelope stages (labelled 1-9) in 3x3 grid
  • Global Contour knobs for attack and release
  • Global Sustain/Hold selector
  • CV inputs for all 9 stages
  • 16 outputs for every possible combination of straight lines in the matrix, plus a Fugitive Envelope output that picks each stage at random

Voltage Controlled Pinball Machine (could also do the same thing with Pong, Breakout, or Tetris):

• A playable pinball machine that generates voltages during play
  • Trigger inputs (and manual buttons) for the left and right bumpers (use with computer keyboard MIDI for manual control)
  • When the ball crashes out it is relaunched either by a manual button or an incoming trigger from the associated input
  • Left Bumper Trig Out
  • Right Bumper Trig Out
  • Bumper Gate Out (activates whenever either bumper is used; On/Off/Switch selector)
  • Circle Radius knob/slider (adjusts the size of the circle in the middle of the board; has associated CV input)
  • Circle Out (gate is high whenever the ball is over the circle)
  • Ball Envelope Out (envelope follower that tracks the ball and outputs its path on a 2D plane)
  • Ball Loss Out (activates whenever the ball crashes out; Trig/Gate selector)
  • Individual board object trig outputs (activate whenever the ball hits that object on the board)
  • Global Trig and Gate Outs (activates whenever the ball hits anything on the board)
12 Likes

MQTT-Client(s): depending on messages the client receives from the off-rack world it can trigger events, emit voltages etc. Turn your weather station, your home automation system etc. into a music generator. https://mqtt.org/

Maze: a maze generator and a somewhat stupid maze solver. Track the solvers movements and turn it into voltages.

2 Likes

A bit like this ?

More like what the bot in the clip does, then track x,y position, maybe angle of x,y vector, speed and turn it into voltages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqTaLI2camI

I thought so, but I saw the suggested name and thought “Don’t we already have something like that ?” :+1:

wiqid anomalies 2at dual attenuverter goes up to 3x

bogaudio offset goes up to 10x

1 Like

Presets matrix-sequencer

I’ve been thinking about this module for a while now and I’ve discovered that it almost exists in hardware (see the video), it would be a mixture between koralfx’s Presetovnik and Bidoo’s Moire, i can also mention Morph from 23 volts .

Basically, 12 to 16 knobs assignable in MIDI, equivalent number of outputs in CV and able to send MIDI learn (MIDI-cat way)). Then a system of presets and bank that can recall/sequencer all this with the possibility of morphing between the presets.

This is partly possible with the modules mentioned but it would be cool as a VCV module. The presetovnik does not allow to have the MIDI plugged in, the Moire is a little tedious to implement)

hardware module video example

5 Likes

a single constAddMult can boost 100x and cascading you can get 100^4 times (100M x)

2 Likes

oh snap, i had no idea

Stereo VCA Maybe I’m just not finding it. It seems hard to believe that this doesn’t exist. A single “Stereo” stage from the cf modular mixer will work, but it’s full of other stuff. Likewise, you can use a dual VCA for this (VCA-2 or bogaudio VCA), but this would be a nice convenience.

1 Like

School Bus Mixer can be a stereo VCA (turn off level CV smoothing) with three outs. (Also, all the Glue the Giant mixer strips have input preamps with up to 8x gain.)

4 Likes

piong

Module Creation Kit

Okay …technically this is not really a module. But those of us who get lost in writing a “Print” routine in Basic could use a system that would allow us to design our own modules. This could be something similar to Audulus which allows the user to create and modify modules using the high-level “language” of a graphic design system. Admittedly this would be a massive undertaking.

But Volt Modular does it. Audulus does it REALLY well. Perhaps VCV Rack could do something similar

1 Like

hora geco?

1 Like

For using script languages without worrying about panel graphics: VCV Prototype

2 Likes