Module Idea: Sequential Gate?

I love the HetrickCV Random Gate module, and was wondering about something more… unrandom? Like a Random Gates with the option to step through the outputs forward, backwards, ping pong etc.

I can do sequential gates with just a VCV Seq 3 but Random Gates is more compact, and has all the controls you’d want, just no way to Un-Random it.

Suggestions? Anyone want to code this up?

Not sure this is exactly what you are after, but Impromptu GateSeq64 has random, ping-pong, pendulum, brownian motion, etc run modes, and could perhaps do the trick:

Well if there was a per-step gate output it might do the trick. The point of the HetricCV Random Gates is that it takes one gate input (i.e. clock) and distributes it randomly to up to 8 outputs.

What I was hoping for was that, but with modes other than random.

Ah, yes, then I would say your best bet might be VCV Pulse Matrix, if those bottom jacks work like I think. It might need a bit of patching, but I think it could work

What kind of ‘unrandomness’ ro ‘randomness’ do you need? What dimensions would you like to be predictable.

Random Gate is effectively a random router, where timing can be controlled (via gate/trigger) but the routing is unpredictable. SEQ3 is a oneway sequencer (forward).

Maybe a CV controllable switch?

Or a sequencer with directional control (and/or addressable steps)?

1 Like

+1 for sequential CV-adressable 1:N Switches. Every looping CV attached to it will result in an output-pattern.

1 Like

@CountModula Switch 16:1 (& 8:1 etc) are exactly what I needed.

Now you made me go and read the Count Modula manual - easily top 5 Rack plugin documentation. It’s great documentation and it’s a very DEEP plugin!

Now after inventing a genre out of @jeremy wentworth’s sequencers, I can go invent a genre out of @countmodula modules!

6 Likes

This kind of sounds like something Bidoo’s μ (Home · sebastien-bouffier/Bidoo Wiki · GitHub) . It’s more or less a sequencer step, with some options for choosing the next steps.

1 Like

Definitely great documentation. I find the PDF download just a tad inconvenient compared to web docs, but I love the documentation, and it is a great collection of highly useful modules covering a wide range of functions.

Another similarly broad collection with I think equally good docs is Bogaudio - I particularly like how things are consistently organized, like always stating how polyphony is handled. I’m particularly impressed that the docs were updated for V2 to describe the bypass behavior for every module.

2 Likes