MindMeld Competition - Win ShapeMaster Pro!

Best premium module purchase ever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree. I love it

3 Likes

Damn. Iā€™ve just spent an hour or so playing around with these competition limitations and I couldnā€™t figure out pitch but that makes so much sense, not sure why I didnā€™t think of inverting the sequence! This is a crazy module, I bought it right away when it came out but to be honest Iā€™ve slept on it and never really explored it much. Itā€™s really good for making and sequencing drums. I think I know how different drum patterns could be sequenced. Crazy.

2 Likes

Figured out the proper 1V/Oct Tracking after reading through @steve hints. This just went from fun to absolute bananas!

4 Likes

This makes me very happy to hear! You now have 12 days to make a proper track :slight_smile:

Itā€™s official. Iā€™m an idiot. I had lost this passage between the rules and I wanted to make everything work with the Foundamental Midi-CV and Midi-Map which instead are used for something else.

Oh no! - trying to do it Midi-CV or Midi-Map will only lead to hair loss and gnashing of teeth.

1 Like

hope its goin good for everyone. i am nearing completion, with 5, soon 6 shapmasters (not pro lol) and 30 fps. i guess i could add a question here while im at it: can i use 2 manual gates for run and reset for the shapemasters? i can manage without, but would save some modules

While it seems like a reasonable request, Iā€™d say not. Reason being, if you were to win, it would give people reason to challenge your victory on the grounds that you were using modules that were not in the allowed list. And if we said yes to the manual gates, it might lead to requests for other modules to be allowed too. Slippery slopeā€¦

You could use one SM as your master and use one channel on that to send out a run to the other SMs. And you could use one channel on that or any other SM to send out a reset (you can manually reset channels on SM individually).

Iā€™m gonna say how to do that as the manual is actually a little out of date in that regard - in V1, you would alt/option click a channelā€™s play button to reset it. Since in V2 the alt/option key is now used by Rack for panning around the patch, we had to change that modifier to Command/Ctrl.

Did you figure out the 1 V/Oct sequencing in the end?

1 Like

that is completly fair! thank you for suggesting a sollution and taking the time to help out.

i did figure out the V/Oct just a couple minutes after getting the Stoermelder modules. the reason for me being vague in my answers were, as you have said, figuring it out is part of the fun.

ive sat with vcv rack this entire day, and this way of using the SM has been so fun. i will link the patch later, and for those who dont wanna download the patch, and just listen, ill put it on soundcloud aswell

2 Likes

Excellent! Iā€™m looking forward to seeing/hearing what you have made and am glad you have had such fun making it. I canā€™t wait to see all the patches people come up with made mostly from multiple ShapeMasters!

7 Likes

I already have ShapeMaster Pro, but wanted to wish everyone entering good luck and say that whoever wins is going to love it :slight_smile: Thank you to @steve for offering the chance to win a copy to the community, and Happy Holidays to all!!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s excellent! Really impressive and I like it a lot - reminds me of Bicep.

And very generous of you to share the patch at this early stage. I thought people might hold off posting their patches until the last moment so as not to give away their techniques/discoveries haha!

I think Iā€™m going to add a couple more modules to the allowed list - Nothing that changes the sound or creative possibilities, but VCV Notes and Stoermelder Glue would be useful from our side when it comes to reviewing - so people can mark up their patches and tell us any key info about whatā€™s happening and what controls what - ā€œPress this to start it runningā€ etc.

1 Like

thank you! it is a risk of sharing early, but if im not early i know for sure im gonna be late, so this was better. i could update the patch later to add notes for info :slight_smile:

Iā€™m still working on mine, but happy to share as soon as Iā€™m done. So far Iā€™ve got a 4-voice paraphonic synth with some varied LFOs and a bitcrusher on one voiceā€¦ so much fun already!

1 Like

awesome! :slight_smile:

I almost got the intonation to work, except for one small detail. When I have an input of 0V, set to C4, there is no audio. All other notes (so all other volts) work, C4 is silent. :thinking:

Hmmm - that doesnā€™t sound quite right - because C4 is just a frequency - if the frequencies either side of it are sounding OK, then thereā€™s no reason C4 should be silent I can think of.

Another way of saying it - if SM is not producing an audible frequency at what you think is C4, it perhaps isnā€™t actually at C4. Because C4 is where it is making the C4 sound :slight_smile:

Hard to say without seeing your patch but you can post here or send me a PM with an image if you like?

1 Like

Maaaan, I got 11 kids with 4 different babymoms, and they all need SMP. You gonna buy em one??? Iā€™ll enter what I damn well like.

:laughing:

1 Like