MindMeld Competition - Win ShapeMaster Pro!

higher cv to control the length results lower frequency, that is the biggest difference

2 Likes

Yes - that is indeed one of the 3 main differences. Unlike a regular VCO, increasing the voltage at the input, leads to a reduction in frequency of the output. So some inversion will be needed to deal with that.

What else?

I swear I was writing it translating ten thousand words. You come and summarize everything in two lines. :sweat_smile:

I own Pro, but this is interesting to meā€¦only part of the knob range corresponds to the range of notes. In fact the ring around the length knob changes to solid at the boundary. Iā€™m close with uMap scale and offset, but thereā€™s probably some math here that I havenā€™t figured out yet.

1 Like

Nope. That solid ring moves too. Still close but not quite there.

i started with 0 on scale. that was helpful

Yes exactly - ShapeMaster has a much wider range than a normal VCO with unsynced lengths that can last for up to 30 mins. The length knob needs to cover this entire range (as does itā€™s CV control). This means that it is not scaled to 1 V/O like a regular VCO is that needs to cover much less range. Soā€¦ therefore some scaling of the 1 V/O sequence will be also be required. So inversion and scaling - thatā€™s 2 of the 3 things that need to be considered.

I think you touched on the 3rd thing here too - why would you want to offset your input? What is a regular VCO doing when it has an input of 0V?

Rises (+1) and falls (-1) By default, the Shapemaster voltage works from 0 to +10, so it needs to be changed. (?)

Not quite the answer I was looking for. What are all VCV VCOs tuned to by default? What note do they output with nothing (or 0V) going into their 1 V/O input?

Frequency. (But I donā€™t remember the exact default frequency ahahaha)

Edit: C4?

Yes exactly. Ideally you want to get ShapeMaster outputting a C4 note when length is getting a 0V input. By default ShapeMasterā€™s length knob will be fully left when itā€™s modulator is at 0V (and therefore at super high frequency) - so some offset will be required to make it output the C4 note instead.

So the 3 things to consider are Inversion, Scaling and Offset. If you take your 1 V/Oct sequence and then scale, invert and offset it in just the right way, and send that remapped voltage to Stoermelderā€™s cv-map, you should be able to get the length knob to track like a regular VCO :slight_smile:

If only there was a module that could do voltage remapping, one that could take an input voltage and scale, offset and invert it all in one go. Ohā€¦ hang onā€¦

6 Likes

Oh. All these things alone I would never have understood them.

In practice, if with some tricks Shapmaster manages to emit 1v / oct, and can be synchronized manually by converting hz> bpm, Shapemaster Pro becomes useless? :sweat_smile: But the convenience of plugging in the Clock is worth the purchase hahaha

Not really - the main thing you are paying for with SM Pro is the Clock sync. That single feature was by far the hardest to code and took the most time to get right - getting on for 2 months of development just on that. You also get the CV and Trigger expanders though and the CV expander has a 1V/Oct input which takes care of this Scaling, Offset and Inversion for you.

If you know what you are doing you can probably do most things (or get very close) with the free version that you can do with the Pro version though - the Pro version just makes everything much easier, quicker and more convenient. And there are some things only the Pro version can do - like the EOC and SOS/EOS outputs on the triggers expander.

2 Likes

i dont know if anyone has said this already, but a big thank you for giving us this collective challenge! ive had alot of fun already, and am still experimenting to see what you can do with it (which is alot more then i ever imagined)

3 Likes

and one other thing. a rule is that you can only have one submission, but can we still share things along the way to see what others think?

1 Like

That was what I meant. The hz / bpm conversion can synchronize the CV outputs, but using the clock to control the bpm, start and stop is much faster and also more convenient.

My patch was slightly different, because I took the CV 4 output of a SM, and used it to reset another SM, in order to sync the two SMs, then I unplugged the cable because I didnā€™t want a continuous reset: I have seen that closing Rack and reopening it cancels the reset and the two SMs no longer start together, as if one of the two had the swing, but still plays with the same bpm so I left it like that.

My path to knowing exactly what I am doing is still a long one. I often go randomly, I like when something cool comes out without even knowing how it happened and I start reconstructing the steps to understand how I got to that result.

The discussion that arose here was very informative, I felt a bit like in school. Thank you!

Another thing I donā€™t know is the EOC / SOS / EOS outputs you talk about.

Absolutely. Just make sure that on January the 4th you only have one patch/video linked in this thread (so please delete any earlier entries you may have posted). And you are certainly free to chat amongst yourselves and share ideas/solutions.

awesome! :slight_smile:

Hint:

Phase clock for sync.

Oh, you said it out loud! Now you have to buy Pro. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like