Midi trigger switch

I’m trying to use my midi pads to trigger different quantizer scenes for Repelzen’s Re-Win Quantizer. The only thing I could figure was to offset the signals to the corresponding voltage values for each scene, then ‘add’ the signals in order to combine them into a single channel, then use an ‘or’ operation to generate a trigger, run it through another offset in order to push the lower voltages above the trigger threshold, and then run through a sample & hold.

This seems really convoluted, does anybody know a better solution for this?

Hi!

Have a look at the CV-Pad from Impromptu. You can set up to 16 pads, each with a different value, and then map them to your controller.

6 Likes

EDIT: Ugh! The following looks like it should work, but it does not! The problem is all the docB CV “buttons” are treated as one single control when you map. However, the fact that the scenes are scaled at 2/3 V per scene is still useful info

This is very similar to the @Omri_Cohen solution, except it is much more compact and I think easier to setup by using the docB CV module. Except it does not work!

The Re-Win Quantizer Scenes input is scaled at 2/3 V per scene. So right mouse click on the CV Lvl knob (Ctrl-Click if Mac), and enter 2/3 (or .66667). Then simply connect the CV output to the quantizer Scenes input, and make sure the Scenes knob is fully counter-clockwise (scene 1)

With the above configuration you are limited to 13 scenes - The 0 button is scene 1, and the 12 button is scene 13.

If you need all 16 scenes, then simply add 2V to the CV output. This is easy to do with the VCV OCT module.

Now button -3 is scene 1, and button 12 is scene 16.

Once you have either setup above, simply map your midi pads to the appropriate CV buttons. This is what does not work

2 Likes

I’m actually using the Re-Win Quantizer from watching your video on arpeggiators :slight_smile: Thanks for your suggestion, works great!

It looks really compact, would have been a good solution. Thanks for giving it a shot.

I do have an alternative that supports up to 8 scenes. Not nearly as elegant, but still fairly easy to setup, and uses half the hp of CV-PAD.

My Venom Poly Unison provides the necessary voltages for the first 8 scenes via polyphony. Set the RNG (detune range) to 5V (green), the DIR (detune direction) to Up (green), the Count (polyphony count) to 8, and the DETUNE (detune spread) to 56 semitones. This works out to a range from 0 to 4.66667, with an increase of 0.66667 per channel.

The Grande Splt8 splits the polyphonic input to 8 mono outputs, which then get patched to the ML Modules Triggered Switch 8 to 1. Finally the switch Out goes to the quantizer Scenes input. You should be able to map up to 8 midi pads to the switch buttons.

You can substitute Venom Recurse for the Poly Unison which makes the math simpler - you can specify the channel increment directly as volts. But it uses more hp.

Set the RECURSION COUNT to 8, leave the SCALE at 1, set the OFFSET to 2/3 or 0.66667, and the mode to nPost (adds the offset after each return). The SEND output will then have the required 8 polyphonic channels.

1 Like

I like to use pianoids with a switch (triggered) into quantum (using notes in, toggle in, and reset) to pull quantization settings from the chords. this can be done live, or sequenced.

something like this

hope that is relevant to your ask.

1 Like

Interesting, that Recursion module looks handy for incrementing values, I’ll have to play around with it. Didn’t realize you released so many modules, look forward to checking them out!

I see you’re using pianoid as the chord bank, then switching between them with a trigger. I didn’t realize you could use Quantum that way. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Yes, it wasn’t the original impetus for creating Recurse, but the ability to quickly create a polyphonic series of evenly spaced voltages is a handy feature.

1 Like

Perfect :slightly_smiling_face:

By the way, after you set it up, you can either save the preset on CV MAP, or save both modules as a Selection, so you don’t have to do everything again for future patches.

1 Like

Tried something similar, triggering custom notes (also voltages) by bashing on my AKAI LPD8. Maybe not as elegant when it comes to math, but this solution worked well for me:

1 Like