Marshall Time Modulator

Good human being, be a joy to behold I’m sure! I am just uploading some audio to Soundcloud which admittedly was not done in VCV, all analogue using a Walkman and an old tape and Analogue delay, Reverb and Multifx guitar pedals. There is probably some MTM sounds in there somewhere.

Here’s some more with a Chinese Casio knock off keyboard through the fxs:

:arrow_forward:︎ December Album | Kleinemaschinen (bandcamp.com)

Stream Walkman Of Doom N Fxs Combo by Adrian Bottomley | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Researching this machine and is capabilities, I found a (nostalgically crackling) demo record (in MP3-format) where the creator (Stephen St.Croix, born Stephen Curtis Marshall) explains and demonstrates the Marshall Time Modulator. It´s pretty impressive stuff! Maybe not so straightforward to emulate as first thought…

Maybe I can also find the ** Marshall Time Modulator Setup Sheet ** that shows various settings for all parameters for various effects. As mentioned near the end of this demo at SynthMania’s (Paolo’s 2018 birthday present was an MTM…).

Marshall Time Modulator St Croix Pt 1 Device1 3.PDF : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Found this but only talking to Steve by the looks of it about the MTM. About the VST- manual- Scribd got to log in though. Marshall Time Modulator VST Plugin Manual: May 1, 2009 Version: 1.0 | PDF | Feedback | Modulation (scribd.com)

Marshall-Time-Modulator-St-Croix-Pt-2-Device1-10.pdf (1.3 MB)

Marshall Electronic - Studio Electronics

In the Studio with Jamie Lidell: The Marshall Time | Reverb News

Apparently the digital port to the MTM VST by Intellgent Devices was actually done by/with the inventor, who co founded Intelligent Devices. So way can assume it’s a faithfull emulation…

Some quotes from the Intelligent Devices MTM product page

The Marshall Time Modulator is one of those creations. Before there was much “digital” anything, and before records were considered something anachronistic and nostalgia evoking, back when “Dark Side of the Moon” was new and Hip-Hop kind of a distant dream, Stephen St. Croix had an idea: What would happen if you took the the longest analog delay line possible, gave it the greatest signal to noise ratio in a piece of outboard gear, and then made the modulation of it possible over such a wide range that it could effect sound in ways sublime AND outrageous. Something so utilitarian and necessary that it could fit in equally well on Stevie Wonder’s “Songs in the Key of Life,” or as the means of giving extra gravitas to the sound of a bad acid trip. Stephen called it: The Marshall Time Modulator. You’ll call it “indispensable”.

Two separate delay lines, in a ratio of 1:2 or 1:4., each with their own volume, phase and pan controls and a joint feedback control.

Once modulation is added, the ratios between the delay lines don’t change, but together the delay lines can be continuously swept over the range from minimum to maximum time over the LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator) rate. This is a function of the interaction between the Time Delay, Preset, Time Modulation, LFO Shape and LFO Speed parameters working together.

Some quotes from Gearspace https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/397100-marshall-time-modulator-lovers.html

we have the first-ever authorised version of the ** Marshall Time Modulator, a cross-platform VST Plug-in** (the late Stephen St.Croix was the co-founder of Intelligent Devices, where I work - He invented the Marshall Time Modulator in 1974).

Steve Marshall (aka Stephen St. Croix) and Edmund Pirali spent a great deal of time creating a digital model of how the time modulator works, rather than create a digital delay with extra modulations. Remember the original Time Modulator “misused” a lot of components in a manner never intended by man or god. This created some very “interesting” characteristics that only Steve knew about. Steve and Edmund then spent time modeling this behavior and testing it against the original hardware

1 Like

Hello again, just checking if you got any further with the MTM project, do you need any assistance to progress? Let me know thanks.

I think I met mr. st. croix a long time ago…

At the risk of making this a too personal subthread…

I did setup some patches, based on the descriptions (see earlier posts). But…

As said, after the Demo of the MTM by Stephen St. Croix himself (see earlier post), I have not been able to replicate the smooth and varied effects from the demo.

So…there’s probably more to the MTM then the simple description of components (2 delay lines with feedback control and modulation) suggests.

I guess, once you’re part of ‘the scene’ at some level…it’s a small world. Pretty special nonetheless…

1 Like