Magus Instrumentalis - Madness Suite

The Frequency CV might not track 1V/oct but it does still track exponentially. It’s pretty close to 1V/fifth, so if you scale up your note CV by 1.6667x (and with the Frequency CV attenuator fully CW) you get a very playable 1V/oct! Bogaudio Offset should do the trick.

The tracking doesn’t always behave if Chaos is set to an unstable region, and tuning to a specific base frequency is a matter of trial and error, but hopefully this is closer to the behaviour you were expecting.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s true, I’m just a bit worried that all of that will lead to more frustration since not all of the attractors are going to be in tune with each other.

1 Like

I think my key mistake was assuming that Azathoth was appropriate for use as a pitch source. It has utility, but that’s not the kind of use it’s for.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s totally right. In your patch, using a small amount as modulation source, gives you that small bit of instability that’s nice. You can also FM Yog-Sothoth by sending a small amount of it into the exp input which I enjoy doing.

A quick update: We’ve added 10 new patches to our website for you to experiment with. Feel free to tweak them and use freely in your music: Support – Magus Instrumentalis

Thank you so much for making the modules and now the patches, you are legend!

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much. It means the world to hear positive responses to something we’ve worked on for such a long time. I know it’s a social media/self promotion cliche, but seriously we’re planning a TON of free stuff post release, so follow us on YouTube and Instagram if you’re interested. I’ll keep putting out patches, we’re releasing more in-depth tutorials from Harrison and I, publishing software updates, releasing a free blank panel with art we commissioned for this set. Also, hopefully Twitch hangouts very soon.

2 Likes

For anyone interested, I’ll be hanging out on twitch at noon on Friday doing detailed walkthroughs. Here’s our channel link: Twitch

1 Like

Cool, just gave you a follow. What time zone are you in?

1 Like

Great question; EDT. Thanks for following! I’m hoping to start using it regularly to host conversations with interesting music folks.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Looking forward to the stream.

1 Like

There’s a thread around here somewhere for people to list there live steam channels

A few people in the community stream on Twitch (including me, though I haven’t for a while).

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I’m looking forward to checking these out.

1 Like

Just a heads up, I’m streaming in 15 minutes on twitch: Twitch

For folks who missed it, here’s the full stream:

1 Like

For those whole dabble in eurorack hardware, Magus has just released it’s first euro module: a blank panel create in collaboration with Materia Devices. It’s available for pre-order on our website now: https://magusinstrumentalis.com/?page_id=303

1 Like

We’ve been working on a series of shorts examining all the weird ways you can patch our Shoggoth module. I’ll update this as we post them. They’re a lot of fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes