MachineRhythm Challenge (June 2024)

Is anyone interested in another challenge for VCV Rack? For the month of June 2024, we’d like to explore the sonic beauty of machine sounds and rhythms.

This challenge picks up the artful idea of @Luca-Feelgood, who created the Puffing Billy patch.

Your challenge:

• Choose one (1) of the following three categories representing machine sounds:

• Factory (belt, wheel, printing press, robot, engine etc.) OR
    • Household (blender, toaster, washing machine, elevator, fan etc.) OR
    • Travel (car, train, airplane, ship, scooter etc.)
  • Create four (4) or more recognizable machine sounds within the category of your choice. Use only modules available for free from the current VCV library

• Combine your sounds into a rhythmic ensemble, i.e. weave a beat from your machine sounds

• All sounds must be synthesized on the spot: No samples, no recordings!

Tag entries “MachineRhythm June 2024” and submit up to 3 patches here by June 30, 2024.

Post patches on Patchstorage, if possible, and/or in this thread.

Post video/audio examples on YouTube/SoundCloud; run time should be between 1 and 3 minutes per patch.

Have fun!

9 Likes

Hi all,

My MachineRhythm June 2024 submission…

Patch can be found here: https://mlaban.home.xs4all.nl/music/VCV/MachineRhythm%20June%202024%20-%20Modern%20Times%20by%20Marinko%20Laban.vcv

8 Likes

This patch rocks, especially the bass/hummm together with the steady steam rhythm. Well done! Be careful not to overuse the steam whistle.

Thanks…fair point about the steam whistle…You can lower the probability of the B channel of the Bernouilly gate and/or lower the speed of CLK1 on the 2nd Clocked module to keep it a bit more modest…

1 Like

Sorry folks that I was not present. I think it’s been a good 14 days since I was here. But in any way. Here I am. First of all many thanks to our challenge organizer. I was really happy to hear that he organized this machine challenge. So here is my contribution. I have decided in favour of a steel mill.

You are inside a steel mill. In the hall you hear, cranes, motors, heaters, boilers and other basic machinery.

In addition, you can hear workers, a Start working signal, pneumatic forging hammer, 120 MW transformer, electric arc furnace.

12 Likes

That’s a great patch and a very skillful soundscape! Feels really inside a machine hall with many noises from different sources and directions. Impressive!

2 Likes

Thanks for the bubbles. It was also a lot of enjoyment. The big problem was the final mix. And when I listen to it again, there are still small mistakes in the mix. But that’s what you get when you work with random, like in real life.

1 Like

I actually wanted to try your patch but unfortunately I couldn’t manage it.

STS-Free-Dev/Saw-VCO and STS-Free-Dev/Sine-VCO are missing. I have all the modules from Sm@rTAZZ Studio but it seems that you are using other modules that are not in the VCV library. Or am I doing something wrong?

I heard your patch on YT and I think it’s great. Who doesn’t love Steam! Thank you for joining the Steam world.

Hopefully there will be others who post their patches here. :speaker: :sound: :loud_sound:

Hi @Luca-Feelgood, that is my bad…I have accidentally used the “development” versions of the Saw-VCO and Sine-VCO and not the ones shared in the VCV Library… You can probably replace them with the official released ones…I’ll try to update the patch later this week and redistribute it.

Apologies for the inconvenience!

Hi all, and especially @Luca-Feelgood : Patch is updated with the library versions of my VCO’s…can be downloaded from the same spot: https://mlaban.home.xs4all.nl/music/VCV/MachineRhythm%20June%202024%20-%20Modern%20Times%20by%20Marinko%20Laban.vcv

1 Like

He´, Marinko, I think you sent the same patch. I still have the same problem. Can happen.

Hey @Luca-Feelgood , I don’t get it…I just downloaded the patch both from my homepage as well as the link above (should be the same :-))…they show the correct library module now, no longer the STS-Free-Dev one…

a browser caching issue perhaps?

1 Like

Hi my best. You were right. It was my browser cache. Now I’ll give it a try and look forward to it. Thank you.

Can’t upload to Youtube, Because I can’t record a video for some reason (I think my graphics card is dying, I even run VCV on 10 fps). And Soundcloud is banned in my country, because… idk. A big mystery. So here’s a low res screenshot!

18 - noisy machinery.vcv (9.6 KB)

So this one is a third iteration of an idea I had. The first row below the mixer… row? Line? So on this line is what actually interesting in my opinion. It is a pinged delay going through ring modulation. If you just ping it constantly, it sounds like shit. But give it space and it starts to make interesting kinda machinery sounds

2 Likes

I was pleased to listen to this patch in peace. I think channel 5 is pretty nice. The 55 Hz hum makes everything round. I also think it’s cool how you use Airwindows to create a unique space.

1 Like

One more week to go… Create, submit, enjoy… … … :steam_locomotive: :factory: :electric_plug:

finally I got some inspiration from this challenge,
but I didn’t really follow the rules, I just used them to inspire me,

maybe some might like what I did :wink:

the patch is here: 2024_06_22_Nightshift-at-Vults-Factory_rsmus7.vcv (33.8 KB)

7 Likes

Very nice. And as a special bonus for me, this is the first I have seen Venom Reformation in the wild other than Omri’s video and the VenomTakeFive challenge :smiley:

1 Like

Many thanks for your great effort Alphagem-O. There have been some people who have given something of themselves. I definitely enjoyed it.

:pretzel: :pizza: :pretzel: