[Mac OS] How to exit full screen?

Hi,

in fact I use fn+F11 to enter fullscreen mode as F11 key is the volume control (with F10 @ F12)

here is a picture of the keyboard: https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/4668/as-images.apple.com/is/MLA22F?wid=2000&hei=2000&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_usm=0.5%2C0.5&.v=1496943596366

cheers

Spontex

I reported this as a bug. Feel free to vote/properly comment there, but in the meantime I suggest you make sure you know your system shortcuts, and/or modify them if needed.

The bug has been closed because

“Rack v2 allows you to exit fullscreen by choosing “View > Fullscreen” in the menu, pressing F11, or pressing Escape”

EDIT to make it clearer: the bug report has been closed. The bug itself (the problem) hasn’t been fixed (most likely it won’t be fixed) in the current version 1.1.6 of Rack. It will only be fixed in the future version 2 of Rack.

The bug still exists on a Mac multiple screen setup. 16" Mac, 2019 with Samsung 31.5" display. With Rack running on the large screen, can’t access the top menus in full screen view, so View>Fullscreen is not available. Pressing fn to bring up F11 and pressing F11 moves to Mac full screen but without access to menus. Pressing escape does not exit full screen. The menus are not available with any of the those three suggestions.

However, with Rack on full screen on the smaller laptop screen Esc works to get out of full screen. And yes, remapping shortcut keys might be possible.

1 Like

That’s cool that it’s fixed in v2.0. I can live without full screen until then.

If you are on a mac, not having fullscreen is not really a big deal. the menu bar at the top in mac full screen mode is neglectable

No, actually, the missing menubar is an issue because the VCV Rack menu also disappears, so you cannot save your work before quitting. I tried Cmd-Shift-S to bring up a “Save as…” dialog box, but the dialog box was invisible or beyond the window edge or something, because clicking anywhere just resulted in a “Hey, Idiot, finish typing!” Alert sound. And then, a Cmd-Q to quit also results in an alert sound. Once that happens, I have to go Cmd-Opt-Esc to bring up a Force Quit dialog box. [edit - Oh, wait, that’s not entirely true. “Cancel” appears on the Touchbar when I try to “Save as…”, and tapping that at least gives you keyboard control back again.]

The best thing is just to use the green dot in the macOS interface.

Those of you who find that F11 does not work - are you using a “real” F11 key, or a Touch Bar fn-F11 on a MacBook Pro? On my MacBook Pro the Touch Bar’s fn-F11 does not work to turn Fullscreen either on or off.

f11 does not work on my touchbar macbook pro either. on a side note, f11 also doesnt work for the protracker clone either. in the user manual for the protracker clone it says in case of f11 not working for fullscreen mode to also hold down fn… which unfortunately also doesnt work.

Does cmd+tab allow you to switch to another program even if just Finder? Then you might be able to get the menubar.

Under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab > Mission Control, untick the default Show Desktop shortcut, which is F11.

The F11 keyboard shortcut in Rack then works as intended – or it does on my Mac running VCV Rack v1.1.6 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

4 Likes

well damn… :thinking: thanks for this.

1 Like

Under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab > Mission Control, untick the default Show Desktop shortcut, which is F11.

Well . . . how about that. It worked.

The only odd thing is that I don’t remember it showing the Desktop before.

That’s very much like the situation I had a few nights ago where some keys on my QWERTY keyboard were not working for the MIDI-CV module. I eventually remembered that some of the keys were assigned to the STROKE module, for switching cable colours. :blush:

1 Like

This is still a problem. Nothing stated here works to exit full screen on a Mac. Hitting ESCAPE doesn’t work, F11 does not work, putting mouse in any corner or edge doesn’t work. Even the KB prefs Mission Control shortcut F11 thing posted above does not work. Had to quit the program.

Seriously can’t think of a more glaring oversight than not providing a proper way to exit full screen in your own app.

1 Like

Does cmd+tab not allow you to switch to another program?

That does work for me. Maybe another application on your Mac is using F11 as a global keyboard shortcut instead? Which version of macOS are you using?