Looking for a triggered delay module

There are so many options in the Library how to delay the signals. And even so I just can’t find the one I need. Please let me know if I missed it!

Basically I have a signal input (yellow line) and a clock signal (red line). And I’d like to create a delayed signal output (blue line).

I know that I can achieve this by setting the ms/time knob available on most delay modules. But I’m not very good at setting it by ear. I also know and use a BPM->ms calculator module from AS. I’m looking for a smaller, simpler, more compact solution.

Is there a module that would allow me to set the delay time by trigger number? (I.e. +1 would play the input one clock signal later, +3 would play the input three clock signals later, etc.)

ML Modules Trigger Delay? Count Modula Event Timer?

1 Like

If you need this kind of precision, you can just delay it by ear and then pass it through any AND module, for example, with your clock.

Applying AND will not synchronize the delayed signal with the clock - there is nothing to force the delayed signal to begin at the beginning of a clock cycle. And if the signal and clock are triggers, they are likely to never coincide (constant false or 0 output)

Sure! It wouldn’t sync the triggers. It should force the delayed signal (if it is a gate, yes), to appear within the window of a clock gate. It could be annoying to match this window, yes. And also if the clock is set to 1\16th or 1\8th even, it could appear as a burst… So it’s not easy, but if it would be easy, it wouldn’t be fun

It’s not a particularly compact solution, but ShapeMaster can give you a very ‘visual’ way of delaying your triggers if you are uncomfortable doing it by ear. Just make your trigger pattern as you want it, then use Phase to offset it however you want. If you want to do it very precisely then calculate your phase offset. If your triggers are based on 16th notes for example, then 360/16 = 22.5. So for each 16th note you want to ‘push’ your triggers, subtract 22.5 from 360. In this example I have pushed it one 16th note so phase is set to 337.5. If you wanted to offset by three 16th notes then set phase to 360 - (3 x 22.5) = 292.5. If you don’t need to be exact, you can just visually set it using the grid.

Here I’m using the free version of ShapeMaster, I’ve set the clock to 120 bpm and have SM in T/G [Trigger/Gate] mode (so the shape is fired by a trigger at the T/G input). I set the length to 2 secs which is 1 bar at 120bpm and am triggering it with a /4 clock (which sends a trigger every bar).

With ShapeMaster Pro it’s easier as you can just set the synced length to 1 bar (or whatever you want).

2 Likes

Maybe utilizing Analouge Shift Registers somehow? :thinking:

1 Like

Hi,

Do you want to delay a clock or a signal? If you want to delay a signal, you can use a shift register. You use the clock as the trigger and the signal as the input. Then, if you use the second output, for example, the signal will be delayed by 1 trigger, if you use the third output, it will be delayed by 2 triggers, and so on. If you want to delay a clock, you will need a higher clock resolution so you can use a sequencer. For example, you can use a multiplied by 8 clock to drive a trigger sequencer that has 8 steps, and choose by how many triggers to delay the clock.

Does this help in any way?

2 Likes

Also, Clocked has built in delay that is synced to the clock so you can also use this.

1 Like

It does Omri, thanks! I regularly use ASRs with signals but I failed to delay a drum sequence with them. Your comment shows me a way to go I think.

Let me experiment a bit with your sequenced clock approach…

Can you upload an example you’re working on? Maybe there are other ways as well.

I would use:

And the fundamental delay. Or out into clk in on the delay. Then set the delay time on 1 pattern.

Make sure only one tab is on in 1 pattern, or else the delay will freak out.

Oh yes and 0% feedback and 100% wet on the delay.

Then you can delay anything by the amount you set on 1 pattern.

So basically I’m about to send delayed triggers of the kick section to another percussion(s). Please see a demonstration with the lovely Sha#Bang! Modules Stochastic Sequencer 4 (It’s similarly simple with docB N3 or docB HexSeq )

But I want more flexibility. I love those sequencers but I want to make sure that generating a (semi-)random trigger sequence for my drum can be followed up by other noises and instruments.

Test delayed trigger.vcv (2.1 KB)

@Omri_Cohen I hope you see the experimental side of my tries. It’s clearly not a well defined musical concept I’d like to achieve here… :smiley:

Hmmm, I’m not so sure I understand but maybe this will help

Basically it will count the number of pulses before it outputs a pulse so if you use a clock multiplication (for higher clock resolution) and the triggers from the kick, it should act as a delay quantized to the clock. You just have to make sure to connect the end of cycle to the reset so it will always reset itself. Will this help you?

3 Likes