Life, ants and Brain. Just tossing an idea!

You should probably go with a custom Widget that renders rectangles with nvgRect, since drawing 1000 LEDs is CPU intensive.

1 Like

Yep, agreed! I have already made the change to using nvgRect Andrew (The LED lighting was pretty though!). The pic and vid are of an old version.

Thanks for putting together this amazing tool and open sourcing it by the way!

Cheers,
Alex

Hmm, I like the shiny green LEDs.
Is there a possibility of allow a degree of programmed behaviour?

Heh. They look nicer than rectangles, thatā€™s true.

A degree of programmed behaviour is certainly possible. Iā€™ve seen a VCV module that had a text box for entering small code blocks that affected the module. I forget the name thoughā€¦

While possible, I prob wonā€™t be including it. Need to stop adding bells and whistles and just finish the damn thing :slight_smile: Once I do, Iā€™ll open the source on Github and then someone can try adding that functionality to it.

I have added little tweaks like a second ant. You can have the second ā€œshadowā€ ant either mirroring or mimicking the primary antā€™s behaviour. This can lead to some interesting reoccurring sequences that can themselves include the ā€œhighwayā€ loop. Once you tinker with Langtonā€™s Ant for a while you notice that there are may roads to the ā€œhighwayā€, so to speak =)

There are a couple of other potential ideas in there that arenā€™t in the vid. Anyway, now hopefully Iā€™ve created some pressure for myself to finish itā€¦

1 Like

This is a really great module, can not wait for it!

1 Like

Sounds like Frank Buss Formula. That is a very deep module. there are certain things that you just canā€™t do with anything else (even though it feels a bit like cheating).

Keep going. I guess the trick with a module like yours is to make it ā€œabusableā€ i.e. introduce enough behaviour that it can be messed up so you donā€™t get exactly the same sequence every time. Like placeable blockers for the ant?

ā€¦Martinis, roller skates, cups of coffee, lines of coke, snakes, ladders, sleeping pills, skis, meth rocks, teleport boothsā€¦

1 Like

Some kind of a seed value?

Iā€™m fairly sure that Langtons ant is deterministic. So youā€™d get the same piece of music every time all other things being equal. Thatā€™s why a placeable blocker might make things change.

By setting the Start Cell manually in the grid, then the outgoing result should be different?

Adding obstacles should be doable. Actually, Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s some code in Jeremyā€™s NoteSeq that does exactly that. It might just need to be uncommented in my code even :wink:

@jue ant pickup-and-drop is a good idea too. Iā€™ll look at that.

I may rethink the programmed behaviour slightly @dag2099. Have you seen the multiple colour extension mentioned here? WikiVisually

I want to know what L2NNL1L2L1 sounds like!

This is a quick capture of the current state: https://youtu.be/q16_6xxj7Wo

1 Like

Panel update:

Hopefully starting Rack 1.0 migration in the next week or so! Canā€™t wait to use the new CV to MIDI module to easily output to a hardware synth :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Holy Skware Wave!
Iā€™ve been away for a while and when I am back I see miracles happening here!

FIRST THING FIRST: I am sorry if I have been away for so long Too bad I had to deal with quite serious stuffs. I havenā€™t dug into your module yet but it looks juicy as hell!! Just give me time to scratch the rust away and gather the infos!

In any caseā€¦ Hat off to you as well, sir! :smiley:

Please, do it! Please!

I have seen a lot of excellent modules lost and left behind from the transition to 1.0 and it made me madā€¦ :frowning:

The video barely show the potential of your work!

And yes, I am drooling in awe, canā€™t deny! :laughing:

Itā€™s working in latest Rack version now. The Rack v1.0 plugin migration document was excellent!

A few minor bugs to iron out still. But I tested CV to MIDI from the v1.0 module out to my KeyStep then to a Korg Volca the other night. It works! :grin:

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Any news??? :smile:

Hehehehe.

Itā€™s been a busy week for me with non-VCV Rack commitments Iā€™m afraid. Not too much progress but I do appreciate the prodding. Itā€™s motivating! =)

What OS do you use for VCV Rack @SkwareUawe? I think in a few weeks I may be ready for some beta testers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am using Win10 64bit.

I understand what do you mean, Iā€™ve been off the VCV things for months because of ā€œother stuffsā€ soā€¦

Yet I am so thrilled to test it and use it!!

:smile::level_slider::level_slider::control_knobs::musical_note::notes:

1 Like