Life, ants and Brain. Just tossing an idea!

Here some first tests on Win10 64b!
I’ve CTRL+D the plugin and no crash.

It crashes when I load a previously saved patch and VCV forces me to clear the patch and start over. After that I can load the plugin and it works properly.

If I CTRL+Q while the patch is loaded, when I open VCV and load the patch it crashes. Then when I reload VCV it forces me to clear the patch and start over. Then I can reload the patch and it works fine.

I really like the double gate output! And I have to say it produces some really amazing patterns!

In my humble opinion, you made a really great plugin and not because I am fond of Life but because it really works fine! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Here is my 1 minute patch, just to have a quick fun out of it! :grin:

life.vcv (298.9 KB)

1 Like

If you want to work on how and when the module is crashing you can open your autosave file and remove the module from the save file and reload it… It will load all the modules except the one you removed via text so you can test scenarios using the one you had when the module crashed.

2 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it! @SkwareUawe. Yeah, I agree, the rhythms from the Ant Left and Right Gate outputs are fun to play with :slight_smile:

FYI - If you upgrade to the latest Rack version, 1.1.4, you will need to make a small update to the plugin.json file so the version line looks like:
"version": "1.0.0",

It looks like Rack 1.1.4 is validating the version number in plugin.json for inclusion on load. I wasn’t clear on whether that was the plugin version or the Rack version the plugin is compatible with. Looks like it may be the latter.

I’ll keep hunting for the bug causing the crashes. It is annoying. If I hit a dead end I’ll ask for help from the plugin pros on this forum.

Cheers.

it is the plugin version. but rack requires plugins to indicate compatibility in their version numbering. so, 0.6.x plugins were compatible with rack 0.6.x, and 1.x plugins are compatible with rack 1.x.

1 Like

I wonder if this is the same thing I discovered with chronoblob?

Ooooh. Thanks for the heads-up @TroubledMind! I’m just digging into that thread and I can see a familiar theme to the crashes I’m seeing in my plugin.

Much appreciated! Fingers crossed it is the same issue because the fix looks simple.

2 Likes

Yep, think you’re on the money @TroubledMind Now I’ve added getters and setters rather than referring to relative globals in my process method and I haven’t been able to crash Rack again.

Pretty sure I read something in the plugin dev guide saying that the GUI and the engine process should not depend on each other (or something thereabouts)… This may be what was meant by that. Rookie error!

1 Like

That’s great news! At least you managed to spot the bug before releasing it and that you were able to fix it. Looking forward to trying your module.

1 Like

Hello there! I am still playing with this plugin and it is BIG TIME FUN!!
Yeah, it keeps crashing from time to time for the aforementioned reasons but nevertheless I can’t get enough of it!

Now… I have a small wishlist, if it is even possible… :wink:

• Could it be possible to choose other cellular automata?

• Could it be possible to set/customize the rules of those automata?

I know I am asking quite a lot and I am ready to take a “no” as an answer. I really think this plugin is awesome as it is but… :star_struck:

1 Like
  • No, not for this module sorry.
  • Yes, maybe… I want to do this but not 100% decided on how to implement from a GUI standpoint… No.1 priority is to make the silly thing stable. Crashes are embarrassing.
1 Like

I totally understand. :grinning: Ok, thank you for the answer and… Well, I can only help encouraging you! If there is something else I can do (apart coding), please let me know!

1 Like

Happy New Year all!

With the assistance of the smart folks in the Rack community I managed to locate and fix the crashing bug and have now released 1.0.0 in the Rack Library. Just search “Aunty Langton” to install :slight_smile:

Looking forward to exploring additional features and modules in 2020!

7 Likes

wowow i just fell down the rabbit hole long after the fact - thanks for a TON of inspiration all –

out of curiosity, does anyone know if Aunty Langton has made it to VCV 2? i couldnt seem to find anything, but crossing my fingers and toes!

Yep, back on my radar. Thanks for the kind words. Will release the V2 version sometime around Xmas or New Years I reckon.

Then I might look into adding some extra functionality for a Super Ant :slight_smile:

3 Likes

so cool! ditto thx for all the inspiring work! :ant::loud_sound::raised_hands:

I’ve been away for too long. I saw what you did there and I love it!

Hi folks, a little (ant-sized) update.

I’ve finally got around to submitting an MVP of Aunty Langton’s Musical Ant for VCVRack 2. With a little luck it should be back in the library in the coming week or so.

Cheers!

4 Likes

I assume you have permission from the original author to take over their brand and submit updates? Or are you the original author? This is confusing.

He’s the original author, @Squinky, so no worries there (see upthread)

Welcome back, @Owleyeyeye , to you and your module! :slight_smile: +1 from me to the idea of a Super Ant if your schedule, energy and interest permits…