Library not loading

Hi All - I have just downloaded the latest version of VCV Rack (v. 1.1.6.) from the official website. I unzipped & copied to Applications, as advised. I opened Rack, clicked on Library/Manage plugins. Subscribed to a module then quit & restarted Rack. I have gone through this procedure several times but the full Library of plugins does not appear. Only the VCV Rack Basics (please see pic). What am I missing or doing wrong - can anybody tell me please?

Many thanks.

When you subscribed to some modules from the library
you should see a red dot beneath the library tab when you open rack,
you need to download the modules from this tab
then close and restart rack to load these in your internal library.

1 Like

Sure you are using the same login in Rack and library.vcvrack.com ?

Got enough free space in your user folder? - all plugins space requirement is around 1.2 GB https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ#Where-is-the-Rack-user-folder

Any third-party software interfering with/locking the user folder? (Microsoft Onedrive on Windows, Antivirus)

The first step in debugging is starting Rack using the commandline. Look for any messages.

1 Like

Thanks Guys. Does this help?

Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 17.42.22

This particular error has been covered roughly 972 times on this forum :slight_smile: TL;DR that usually solves it: Right-click on the Rack app in Finder and select Open and say yes at the “it’s dangerous blah blah” prompt. Do it a couple of times and from then on the app should open fine on regular double-click.

Thank you Lars. I have tried your suggestion several times just now. Sad to say it doesn’t work for me. The only way I can open Rack (and see the full Library) is via Applications/Rack.app/Show Package contents/Contents/MacOS/then click on the Terminal avatar. It then opens with Terminal.

When you installed Rack from the zip file, did you use Finder to unzip it or another un-zipper?

I downloaded the Rack file. Dragged it from Downloads into Applications (it wouldn’t Copy, as Andrew suggests). Then double clicked on the file to open. Did I do something wrong?

What I mean is:

• “The downloaded Rack file” is a .zip file, yes?
  • So what exactly did you do with the .zip file?
  • If you simply located the downloaded .zip file in Finder, and double-clicked it to extract it, then you used Finder to extract.
  • If you did it some other way try and describe what program was used.
  • When you have extracted/un-zipped the zip file you have the Rack.app file.
  • Which program did you use to drag the Rack.app file into Applications? Finder?

The reason I’m asking is, that I suspect from my own observation, and stuff read online, that only using Finder is the right/best way, as MacOS applies some “magic thinking” behind the scenes, to make permissions right, and determine what’s “safe” or not.

What I’m further saying is that, when you have dragged the Rack.app into Applications, the first couple of times you should not double-click it, but instead right-click it, select Open, and go through the Apple dialogs to tell it that, yes, it’s actually safe and you actually want to run it. Observe that Rack actually opens correctly. Only after that you can use the normal routine of double-clicking the app to run it, like normal.

1 Like

O.K. I started again from scratch. I deleted the Rack app from the Downloads & Applications folders. Also from the Trash Bin. Redownloaded the app from the official VCV Rack site. It is delivered into my Downloads folder inside Finder. I left it there & followed your suggestions as below:

• “The downloaded Rack file” is a .zip file, yes?

Yes.

• So what exactly did you do with the .zip file?
  • If you simply located the downloaded .zip file in Finder, and double-clicked it to extract it, then you used Finder to extract.

This is exactly what I did.

• When you have extracted/un-zipped the zip file you have the Rack.app file.

Yes.

The reason I’m asking is, that I suspect from my own observation, and stuff read online, that only using Finder is the right/best way, as MacOS applies some “magic thinking” behind the scenes, to make permissions right, and determine what’s “safe” or not.

Yes, understood.

What I’m further saying is that, when you have dragged the Rack.app into Applications, the first couple of times you should not double-click it, but instead right-click it, select Open, and go through the Apple dialogs to tell it that, yes, it’s actually safe and you actually want to run it.

Exactly what I have done (although this time I left the file in Downloads - I didn’t move it to Applications).

As a result I got this error message:

Screenshot 2021-08-22 at 14.33.33

and the full library is still missing.

I would advice not to run it from Downloads but to instead - using Finder - drag/move it into Applications - don’t copy it, move it.

1 Like

O.K. Thanks. Have moved the Rack file into Applications - but full library still not loading up. Last night I Installed VCV Rack on a second iMac. Followed your procedure & everything loaded up fine. I guess this indicates that the problem is somehow with my first Mac. Turned off Firewall briefly but that didn’t help. Don’t know what else to try really.