Kernel_task asks a lot of CPU when I use VCV Rack, how to solve this?

Kernel_task asks a lot of CPU when I use VCV Rack, how to solve this?
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
2,4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris 1536 MB
Logic pro x

Your Mac is using its CPU to draw Rack’s fairly demanding graphics on a retina screen (you don’t have a dedicated GPU).

1. Run Rack in low res mode & don’t run it full screen, and then …
  2. You can build and run the rcomian Rack fork where you can reduce the frame rate, or…
  3. Live with it for another month until Rack 1.0 comes out, which will allow you to reduce the frame rate.

As many of us now know, Macbook Pro’s are not a good computer for running Rack on :frowning:

Seconding. The CPU in your Macbook Pro (Intel I5-4258U) was low/mid-end ($300) when released and is now 6 years old. It has no dedicated GPU, yet you’re trying to drive a 2560x1600 screen. Might be time for a new laptop if you want to emulate modular synthesizers on it.

Not entirely true. My Mid-2012 MacBook Pro (non-retina) works perfectly. It has a dedicated NVidia GPU.

1 Like

Agreed…

A better way of putting it is… Some MacBook Pros, Windows Laptops and Mini computers based on similar laptop architectures… (those without a dedicated GPU) aren’t that good at running VCV or anything else that places high demands of the graphic systems.

My 2011 17" MacBook Pro with a dedicated Nvidia graphics card, still works well with VCV. Its only limitation is that Apple has discontinued MacOS support for it… so I cannot run the latest OS versions but frankly Im not that bothered because I have other, more newer Macs to use for those purposes.

1 Like

I’ll wait for v 1.0.

Thank you for your help.

There was no way, even with the update did not work well on my MAC, I had to buy a windows PC with dedicated video card that works very well, however my DAW is a Logic X and I do not know how to configure to receive signals / audio / midi remotely .

If anyone has tips for me to do this integration Windows (VCV Rack) x MacOS (Logic x) feel free to do this topic.

you can always use an eGPU, and assign it for use when running VCV - that freed up a bit for me.

alternately, you can look into running VCV in low resolution: Get Info on the Rack executable, the option is in “General” right below the copyright. this is the same place you’ll find the eGPU assignment if you have one plugged in.