John's "Gold Star for Documentation" Awards

Hmmm. Iā€™ve only recently begun to see the appeal of many of the Geodesics modules. Strange in appearance, but interesting in use, especially IONS and PULSARS.

An award goes to . . .

Geodesics

Sorry, I had to downgrade it to a silver star, because the terminology is needlessly ā€¦ quirky. For example, the control labeled ā€œPlanck Constantā€ is explained as ā€œQuantizeā€. If they simply made the label say ā€œQuantizeā€, that would save a lot of head-scratching. Also, that ā€œEnergyā€ really means ā€œRangeā€, as in voltage or octave range (which is dependant on the state of ā€œPlanck Constantā€). ā€œQuantum Leapā€ has nothing to do with quantizing, but it should.

@Olival_Clanaro : Youā€™re right. In the end, once you get acquainted with the ā€œcode wordsā€ used for one module, other modules are somewhat easier to make sense of, so itā€™s not a fatal flaw.

I had my doubts about the circular schemes of some of the panels being some sort of visual aesthetic choice (I regard the panel layout and labeling as the ā€œfront lineā€ of documentation), but they make a certain amount of sense here, and saves quite a bit of real estate, compared to a straight left-to-right layout.

BTW, with VCVā€™s ā€œRandomā€, Count Moduloā€™s ā€œSwitch 1-16ā€, two of NSYTHIā€™s ā€œS&H/Eightā€, and 15 of Stoermelderā€™s ā€œĀµMapā€, I came up with a scheme for randomizing the values in the IONSā€™ Steps. Saved that business as a Selection for use elsewhere.

2 Likes

A lot of ppl like ā€œquirkyā€. I donā€™t, but all those years without any stars and I threw in the towel.

1 Like

Thank you.

Is there an official banner i can put on my site?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well itā€™s been a year without a mention, honourable or otherwise, so Iā€™m just going to leave these here in case they have been accidentally overlooked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Uh . . . Sure . . . Here ya go:

I had it made up special. No, really.

1 Like

Hmmm. :face_with_monocle: They do look pretty good, given a quick skim, but I find that the best test is to actually use the modules and then see if I can easily find what I need to know. And ā€¦ Iā€™ve not tried to use them yet.

I donā€™t go out looking for documentation just to review it. I just stumble upon it as needed.

I am nostalgic for the days when you would buy, say, a 2400 Bd modem, and it came with a manual the size of the O.E.D.

Long overdue, I think. Gold Star toā€¦

:star2: Bogaudio :star2:

This started out with me viewing Tiny VCV Rack patches - #121 by tinyvcvpatches

I saw that there was a dual Sample & Hold module in the patch but, apparently, not sampling anything, since there was nothing plugged into then Inputs. So, I downloaded the patch to inspect it more carefully, and it still made no sense. I finally decided to RTFM and ā€“ lo and behold ā€“ for that module it clearly says:

If nothing is connected to an IN port, sampling for that channel is normalled to an internal white noise source with range 0-10V. Alternative options for the normal source noise type and range are available on the context (right-click) menu. The normal source selection applies to both channels.

It all made sense now.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted a gold star. I guess you need at least one line that says what it does?

And it has to be more helpful than saying ā€œemulates the Pre-CBS Mooglaheim 420 Encabulatorā€.

good point. You know, you have been doing this ā€œgold starā€ for about a year. It seems that there some devs who would like some constructive feedback on their attempts at documentation. But you havenā€™t been super forthcoming. Shy?

Ah heck, you know whut?

:star2:Squinky Labs :star2: gets a gold star too.

Several features that caught my eye:

• For at least one module (ā€œ4X4ā€), there is a ā€œdefinition of termsā€ given near the top.
  • Most have something like what I would call ā€œapplication notesā€ to get you started. I used to love that about books like the Texas Instruments ā€œTTL Data Bookā€.
  • The occasional block diagram.
  • Within Rack, the ā€œright-click Info/User manualā€ link takes you to a page dedicated to just that module.
  • Descriptions of how polyphony is handled.

So . . . Huzzah!

2 Likes

Um . . . It might be mistaken for volunteering to do the documentation? Besides, even if asked for such feedback, it would have to be for plugins Iā€™m likely to want to use, and Iā€™d prefer to reply in a less public manner than in this forum.

oh, never mind. I see I got my star! thanks!

If it helps quench your desire for validation Squinksā€¦ I love you for all yer modules - theyā€™re invariably fab. :+1:

1 Like

Just remember to keep it concealed when you go walking through shady neighborhoods.

2 Likes

What was I thinking? Of course Count Modula gets one.

/^M^\

I couldnā€™t believe I didnā€™t do this before. I needed to look up something last night, and noticed how much documentation there was. A 129-page PDF, with clickable entries in the table of contents.

8 Likes

So true, straightforward modules with incredible documentation, designed so smartly for VCV rack, I probably use an equal amount of BOG and Count Modula, because they say what they do and do what they say, then you find little treasures like polyphonic Chances and ADDR supplying polyphonic sequencing.

3 Likes

I read through Count modulas entire manual before even trying out the modules, when I was still learning about modular. It was an incredible help. I still find myself reading up on Modules I havenā€™t tried out yet.

5 Likes

Anuddah winnah!

[Hey look everybody, itā€™s Hoshi, from Arakawa Under the Bridge!]

This Gold Star is for RareBreeds. There are only two modules in the Orbits plugin (EUGENE and POLYGENE)ā€¦

ā€¦ but the docs are perfectly clear.

For example:

All manually controlled inputs are also CV controllable.

Length, Hits and Shift have Ā±5V bipolar CV inputs with a knob for adjusting CV gain. The gain knob ranges from 0 to 1. After gain is applied to the control voltage input it is summed with the current knob setting.

parameter value = knob value + (control voltage input X control voltage gain knob)

Reverse and Invert have Schmitt triggered CV inputs that override the switch settings.

I love that kind of talk.

And the panel display & controls are easy to figure out. (I regard interface design as a species of documentation.)

BTW, I remembered these tonight when I was looking around for a percussion sequencer that was less pedestrian than usual. Instant jazz combo. Just add patch cords.

5 Likes

Another Gold Star* to . . . @StochasticTelegraph / Stochastic Telegraph/Mahlen Morris

Highlights:

• At the end of each moduleā€™s description, there are links to other (non-Stochastic Telegraph) modules with similar or related features.
  • On the FUSE front panels (because I consider the layout and appearance of the UI to be part of the documentation) there is a nifty little progress bar, with colours and shapes that remind you what STYLE setting is selected. If you hover over them, you get a numeric count-up and approximate percentage.
  • Also on the front panels - fairly verbose tooltips.

One thing I would change is to apply some offsets to the four scope traces in the FUSE screenshot so that they donā€™t overlap. Also reduce the vertical scales and increase the time.

ā˜ž N.B. - Superheroine not included.

3 Likes