Issue with SVG Elements Not Appearing

Hello all - I’m developing my first module, and was able to get things working piggybacking off of a template but am now struggling with redesigning the SVG file.

It looks to me like my SVG file has everything in the right place, but none of the non-component elements appear- no text, no background, nothing. I’ve converted a few of the text elements to paths but it didn’t work, and I don’t think that’s the issue since the background is also disappearing.

I’m attaching my SVG file below (I’ve been working in Inkscape), and would be happy to provide any more details if you need them. Thanks!

re-Scope

1 Like

I opened it up and found that it only has one layer and that layer is set to do not show (the eye is closed[in the layers window]) I always use multiple layers in my panels. some of them are BACKGROUND, TEXT, and COMPONENTS. having components seperate is necessary so you can “hide” them by setting the layer to invisible. having a TEXT layer allows you to select all your text at once and convert it to paths. the BACKGROUND layer gives you a place to put the other stuff. fyi, I also have a PATH layer. what I do is select all my text in the TEXT layer, switch to the PATH layer, paste it, re-align it, and convert it to path. then I set TEXT layer to invisible. the reason for this is it allows me to edit my TEXT layer in the future as I never get things the way I want them the first few times. after chaging the text I select all the PATH layer and delete it and then re-process my text into the path layer.

2 Likes

you can add layers by menu layer / add layer you can select multiple objects (click and shift click) and then move them to a new layer using layer / move to layer. so, make the current layer visible create a components layer, select all your components, and move them to the components layer

1 Like

also, I dont think any of your current components will “work” with helper.py because although they look like circles they dont seem to be defined as circles. I had this problem for my first week or so of developement and ended up copy and pasting components from the sample .svg file and editing them to suit my needs

1 Like

Thanks so much for all of your tips!

I took your suggestions and separated my SVG elements into different layers, including adding a PATH layer that was the path versions of the TEXT layer. Oddly enough, my components were the only thing working in my current code, so though I’m not sure why they’re not defined as circles there doesn’t seem to be an issue with how they’re processed by helper.py.

After making the changes, the result unfortunately hasn’t changed. Below I’ve copied the new SVG file, as well as attached a screenshot. This shows two modules, one where I added lots of code to the Scope module without changing the SVG, and then the current version below where I’m attempting to alter the SVG, using Scope as a basis. Maybe there’s something specific to how Scope draws itself that I haven’t caught?

re-Scope

I’ve added my code to Github so you can take a peek if that’s helpful: GitHub - aaronkarp123/PolarCVWIP

this is a guess, but you are somehow changing the color of the background to dark gray which may be painting over the background and text of your svg. I didn’t look at your code yet

1 Like

Rename your SVG file to Tester.svg and it will work. The filename is defined in your code in line 354 in Tester.cpp

setPanel(createPanel(asset::plugin(pluginInstance, "res/Tester.svg")));
1 Like

You’re a saint! Never noticed that line - the dangers of copy-pasting. Works like a charm now.

Thanks Ahornberg and Bill for your help!

1 Like

PolarCV is an amazing module! Thank you very much! :ok_hand: :heart_eyes:

1 Like