Is anyone (intentionally) making plugins that don't run in VST?

Until @Vortico tells me otherwise, I am assuming this to be really true.

Email support@vcvrack.com to talk about business models.

1 Like

I realize you are trying to help here, but that was not an answer to his question. He asked “how were we to know this”, and you restated your belief about this policy. But if the policy is not written down, and today was the first time it was ever verbalized, it’s natural to ask “how would we have known this”.

i.e. he was not asking “what is the policy”, but instead “how would I have known that is the policy”.

I just followed VCV Manual - Migrating v1 Plugins to v2

I did the font changes, etc. But, VST is not mentioned.

I am indeed trying to help. There has been no need for a policy since noone (to my knowledge) ever wanted to not have their open source plugins run in the VST. That was, of course, before you put this idea out there. So, until further notice from Andrew, I will do what I have always done and that is make sure the plugins run in the VST.

1 Like

No, but it mentions this:

The DAW plugin version of Rack uses a different OpenGL context each time the plugin editor window is closed and reopened.

DAW plugin version = VST

I understand now and I know you are trying to help. I’m just saying that nothing anywhere seemed to say that we must test under the VST. Is there some document that explains how to check within the VST?

No. The main issue we know about is the font referencing.

To test:

• Add your module to VST instance
  • Save DAW project and close DAW project
  • Open DAW project
  • VCV Rack should not crash in this case

I probably took the moderator too literally.

“My pleasure Ken. I wouldn’t worry too terribly much about the VST. Every single developer other than Andrew is going to have maximum a few weeks experience of what will break and how. And users will be at least a bit understanding because of that I feel.”

1 Like

Yep, that is what I did back in November or December. I paid $186 to upgrade my Ableton Live Suite from V10 to V11, without knowing at the time if that would work as a DAW host for the VST. So, it is not as if I was trying to not do anything. I was trying to do the right thing, but could find nothing that told me what the right thing was, other than the migration document which I faithfully adhered to.

All I’m saying is that communication is important. There is room for improvement on communication from every perspective. Thank you for explaining.

1 Like

I just checked that my Ableton project for testing Meander still works fine and loads my current Meander version in the VST. So, testing whether Meander works under the VST should be a no-brainer from this point forward, since I know it is expected of me.

I received long time ago the key for a full version
Don’t know if including the VST part
When I decided to start the port, all the links I received were expired or unreachable

so I’ve ported blind mode and don’t know the results in a VST world

more I don’t use any software using VST so I don’t have any knowledge of the field

I don’t plan to buy ableton “che mi fa cacare a spruzzo”, and someone is alerting me of a crash using “sussudio”
but the users don’t know either how to capture a crash log

1 Like

This all reminds me of “Catch 22” :rofl:

Reaper hosts VSTs and has a free 60 day demo and you can even carry on using it past that time (it just prods you to buy but keeps working).

You can download Rack Pro from here (you need to be logged in and have a Pro license)

I was suggesting to not stress about the VST when you were updating as I was aware that everyone was in the same boat and that as long as you followed the upgrade guidelines, your plugin should work in the VST. This is not an issue to stress about. The build process takes time. If there is a problem @cschol will contact you for a fix. If there’s not a problem, it will be released once cschol has done all he needs to do. We do appreciate your effort in producing your modules.

probably doesn’t apply to me, as the web site is asking for $149 and I have no code to insert

Are you looking here? it says you can download and evaluate free for 60 days:

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

1 Like

I understand now. After doing systems development professionally for coming up on 40 years, one of my worst nightmares is releasing code that has bugs to the end user. In one of my past careers, doing such could cost the company $1million per day. So, I go into an around the clock effort to fix any such identified bug.

My issue was and is that I could get no feedback from VCV for my most current version. I submitted this build request 17 days ago and I do not know any details as to what the hold up has been. I asked for details multiple times.

I don’t intend to say any more about this. I suggest that the title of this thread be changed to something that clearly indicates that the discussion is about whether all plugins must be tested and work under the VST. I’m sure I am not the only one for which this came as a surprise.

Thanks for responding.

1 Like

I was talking about the “VCV PRO 2 edition” :wink:

Antonio, if you didn’t receive a license for Rack Pro then that was an error and an email to VCV Support should fix it.

Rack development blog - #73 by Vortico says:

Developers with a plugin published on the VCV Library should have received an email directed to their plugin’s contact address containing a free license for VCV Rack Studio Edition. If you did not receive this email, contact VCV Support stating your plugin name(s) and VCV account email."

1 Like

You can test with FL Studio Demo, which is free to use for testing purposes for unlimited time.

Edit: oops, mistook what you were referencing.