Is a module can deliver both bipolar -5V~+5V and unipolar 0V~10V?

Hello,

EDIT useless question, from “Output Saturation” chapter: in Eurorack, power supplies supply -12V to +12V…

My new clocking module embeds 8 independant outputs.

In most cases, voltage range for output is bipolar -5V to +5V (in particular LFOs, CV as waveform, and “v-offset” waveforms/envelopes).

The answer of the question in the topic’s subject is yes, because VCV Rack permits any voltage. But… in order to stay compliant with Voltage Standards page, is it “legal” to output 0V/+10V to another output, at the same time?

Thanks in advance for recommendations. :wink:

1 Like

Whether it’s “legal” or not is moot - users will ask for it. They’ll also ask for -10V to +10V. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My goal is that the module delivers non fantasy voltages.

Special triggers/gates (Gate while running will be +10V, On Start & On Stop events will output +10V 1ms triggers - depending how the output is configured).

Below: +10V gate is held on output #7 while the module is clocking… Output 8 is off/disabled.

Below: output 7 sends 1ms +10V trigger on stop (red pulse on left scope). Gate on output 6 is released/low when stopped… (output 6 sends 1ms +10V trigger on start - either by button or by RUN input).

Just to be perfectly clear (to me), did you actually mean “… to output 0V/+10V from another output, at the same time?”

Otherwise it sounds like trying to patch two outputs together.

Which is one of the things that you are not supposed to do in hardware, but if you know that those outputs are protected by the right resistance, it is ok, and it is sometimes fun ! (think Arp 2500 for instance). I get that allowing that in VCV would require a lot of changes, and to be somewhat interesting it would require even a lot more for each and every module, and it would open a nasty can of worms (“why is nothing happening ? I connected the gate to the gate, but there is no sound ???”, etc).

But still !! It is a fun way to patch with hardware !

Yes, as example:

• Output #1 sends bipolar -5V to +5V.
  • Output #2 sends unipolar 0V to 10V.

At the same time, difference may be 15V (in case of output #1 sends -5V, and, during same time, output #2 sends +10V).

If you can have one module outputting 0 to +10 (LFO for example), and another outputting -5 to +5 (VCO for example), then why on earth could you not combine them into one module with two outputs?

I interpret the VCV voltage standard to mean any outputs within the range -12 to +12 are “legal”.

The Instruo CsL is a hardware clone with ring mod output ranging between approximately -9 to +9.

So yes, it should be perfectly fine to have a module with both 0 to +10 and -5 to +5 outputs.

1 Like

Then there’s the Lilac Accumulator which has an output that eventually maxed out at 4095.999 V. Maybe it’s for generating Lichtenberg figures.

1 Like

Thank you Dave :wink: :ok_hand:

Then there’s the Lilac Accumulator which has an output that eventually maxed out at 4095.999 V.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A great many modules don’t bother limiting the outputs to stay within the “standard” - even VCV modules!

The Fundamental CV MIX module can output values over 1 million in a matter of seconds by applying a bit of feedback. Simply patch the MIX output to the 2nd input, and set both the 1st and 2nd knobs to 100% This starts at 10V, and adds 10V every sample cycle!

1 Like

I’ve seen similar, Sum module, by ML. :rofl: Not sure the CV3 input will support 5120V during long time, despite Ohmer modules are robust! :rofl: :rofl: