Incoming pulse (1ms trigger) behavior?

Hello everyone,

EDIT: I guess the following question is stupid… :rofl:

In order to design my drum-based sequencer, I submit a question concerning sequencer behavior on “respond on incoming pulse” (1ms pulses from external clock module).

As reading Voltage Standards section of VCV Manual, chapter Triggers and Gates, triggers must 1 ms pulses. So, this is my question:

• 1/ Is the sequencer must do something immediately (as soon as) on incoming pulse? (even, while the pulse is held during “1 ms delay”). No latency in this case, the process starts early as possible.
  • or 2/ Is the sequencer must wait the end of 1 ms pulse delay prior to do something? (perhaps seems to be amore “elegant” approach, IMO, but it introduces 1ms latency).

The manual doesn’t precise the behavior of receiver module (don’t worry for this), perhaps… doesn’t matter, in fact…

Many thanks in advance about your ideas / recommendations.

I think most sequencers advance on the rising edge of whatever signal is received at the clock input. My sequencers certainly do this and my trigger outputs follow the pulse width of the incoming pulse.

5 Likes

Thank you, CountModula, in fact if I understand correctly, the 1ms long is a kind of “margin of security”, to be sure the signal is correctly received.

I’ve edited my request (better than delete post, IMO) because my request is stupid TBH, I’ve developed mine other modules (in particular RKD and KlokSpid as clock mult./div.) to respond on… source rising edge!

In mine (in development) FroeZe sequencer, outputs is either drum sound audio outputs (fire and forget style) or 1ms trigger outputs. Always aligned to rising edge of CLK input, or possibly delayed/defered (to simulate “swing”).

CountModula, let me tell your modules are fantastic!

3 Likes

yes, they are, but i’d just like to add that i happen to adore your RKD module :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Wow! thanks so much! really appreciated,believe me! :stuck_out_tongue: