Impromptu Modular Announcement and Discussion Thread

Great look! Now if BigRoundKnob would come with a darker top in dark skin would be even better. That one is a wee bit too white on the otherwise dark panel…

1 Like

Proper!

Builds have been posted for Impromptu 2.0.0, compatible with Rack v2.git.042a9ce0. Any testing is appreciated!

10 Likes

Just a quick test of Clocked and Foundry on win 10, Rack v2.git.042a9ce0 Looks pretty solid, will report anything amiss I may find (though I doubt it, your code being usually stellar anyhow :wink: )

2 Likes

works here too (Win10 64bit) :+1:

1 Like

Hey Marc! So far everything has been great on my Mac using 042a9ce0. Just today I was using Phrase-Seq-32 and noticed that the knobs don’t visually snap back to zero when I double click. The value of the output seems to go back to default though, so it’s just a visual thing perhaps? The same thing happens with Foundry’s knobs. Other modules seem to be ok!

Those are infinite encoders which do not reset their position when double-clicked, but I was using temporary graphics for those up until now, which explains why it seems odd. In the new version I will publish tonight or tomorrow, this should be fixed as I will be using knobs with no position indicator. Cheers!

3 Likes

Hmm, it looks like it’s been a while since I’ve announced a new module :thinking:. With the @pyer and @steve collabs, I have been spoiled over the years, since they do such great announcements! Anyways, here goes.

Note-Echo

Presenting Note-Echo, a CV+Gate based delay module. Whereas typical delay modules perfom a delay of the audio signal, this new module operates with CV+Gate notes. It is essentially a clocked parallel shift register with 4 taps.

As usual, it might be best to check out the manual, as there can be some subtleties regarding signal routing (clock vs output of sequencer, for example). It pairs wonderfully with Prob-Key, especially with a low density setting on Prob-Key. It also has a CV2 input/output, which is perfect to control the velocity or panning effect of the delays. Probabilities can also be applied to the delays.

SMS-16 (Semi-Modular Synthesizer)

I would also like to announce that the SMS-16 module is now deprecated, and will eventually be removed. This module uses old code that I have not maintained, and I since there are many more capable synth voices in Rack, and since I don’t see it being used often, I prefer to remove it and keep the focus more on my habitual style of modules. I realize that removing modules is not ideal, but at this point, with the huge amount of modules in existence in Rack, a small clean-up on my side is hopefully not unwarranted.

I hope this is not an inconvenience to anyone. The module will no longer appear in the module browser, but will be present (for now) if you load a previously saved patch that contains it. If you have this module in patches that you would like to keep, it would be best to open them soon and perform the appropriate remplacements. For example, this setup does a very good job of replacing SMS-16:

Happy patching! :zap:

28 Likes

Yay, thanks Marc! Looking forward to playing with Note-Echo, looks very interesting…

1 Like

Very nice module. I specially like this:

I miss this from many-many modules!

1 Like

Having great fun with this, thanks Marc.

1 Like

Awesome, my pleasure! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, probably the number one clock utility, certainly the better looking! What have DeadMhaus done to it???

First jam with Note-Echo. I like it…

5 Likes