Ideas for any interested developers

That was easy, thanks again.

Thanks. I’ve added this to my patch to play with it (again).

1 Like

What’s a Euclidean Quantizer?

Is it a voltage quantizer that snaps voltages to notes in a scale decided by a Euclidean pattern, or a time quantizer that delays pulses to the next Euclidean rhythm onset? Or something else?

Yeah! The first one. It is a voltage quantizer. It’s like your Eugene, but for 1v\oct (or maybe we can choose how many volts there are per cycle). So you have an equal temperament that you can divide by the “length” knob, while “hits knob” would choose the notes for a scale. It needs something else too, like maybe what in rhythm sequencer would be a swing… Not sure yet, sorry for that.

What i am thinking now is that maybe there’s a way to create a whole new quantizer thing that could act like this Euclidean quantizer thing. Like, for example, a module that quantizes the signal according to rhythms… Like you send a rhythm there, it compares it to the clock that you also send there. And there also should be a way to tell it when to stop recording the quantization pattern, so the start\stop cycle trigger input

I feel like a stoner explaining all that, haha. “Duuuude patterns everywhere, music is all patterns, scales are rhythms!”

1 Like

Here is a whole list of ideas I was secretly hoping would inspire developers into turning them into modules:

https://community.vcvrack.com/t/expeditions-in-space-and-time/14206/24

The one I’m working on now is a Risset Rhythm generator. Sort of like a Sheppard tone generator but works with time instead of pitch, and uses probability instead of volume to fade.

2 Likes

So, really, we currently have no module that can do this?

You can use clock dividers that blink meters to see when a bar has gone by. But I want to hook a clock in and have a knob for number of beats, and a knob for number of divisions. So if you put in 4/4 clock it will light on reset/run, then blink 4 beats later ad infinitum.

I’ve even done that so I can trigger 8face buttons to select sequence & sound snapshots, and delayed the sequence change pulse until the patch is at a bar boundary.

For that matter you can hook up a meter to the trigger out on the first step of of a drum pattern. Or the EOC, depending on what you need.

1 Like

You can do it using nysthi::bignumber

setting the correct OVERFLOW

3 Likes

You’re thinking of MetaSynth. I think it still exists. You could also look into iZotope’s Iris, which is often on sale for super cheap.

I wasn’t thinking about that, but that is a very cool thing. Sadly it looks like it was made for Mac and I never had any Apple stuff. iZotope Iris looks very cool too! I should check it out. Don’t know if i could buy it, but maybe there’s a demo or something

If you use Logic Pro, Alchemy’s spectral analysis functionality does this: Alchemy spectral edit window in Logic Pro - Apple Support. You can import an image, and/or draw your own with your mouse.

Are you thinking of the Virtual ANS?

https://warmplace.ru/soft/ans/

1 Like

Iris 2 is quite often on sale on pluginboutique for 10$, so I would recommend to check out the demo and wait for the next sale.

It is very cool, but iZotope plugins seem to slow down the graphics on VCV Rack and other plugins for me, which is a bit of a bummer… so check if it is usable enough in your setup.

1 Like

Nah, but that’s cool too! I never heard that they created a virtual ANS. I’ll try it, but it feels like it won’t do what I want to it do… Anyway, thank you very much for the link!

1 Like

Yeah, my setup is not a super top one. My graphic memory thing is like… 1gb. I bet it would be unusable in VCV. But I also have Ableton and it works fine with heavy plugins… At least for me. So it should be alright with iZotope stuff.

I’d love to see a new multimode drum synth. Something that could step through various synthesis styles like filtered detuned squares, parallel wavefolding, shaped sine, triangle FM, etc. Universal parameters like pitch, pitch eg, pitch decay, timbre, color, vca decay would be great, along with envelope outputs and CV inputs. Think of it like “percussive plaits” if you will. Plaits but specially for drums.

1 Like

So I have another two ideas for modules that might exist already, but I haven’t find them. These two ideas are a bit similar.

1. increment\decrement. Increases\decreases the voltage gradually with every trigger\gate. The step could be set up manually. It could be used for choosing the scenes and memory slots in modules that have them. Like Repelzen Quantizer or Voxglitch Groovebox or whatever else.
  2. S&H that sums signals in memory. It’s like a shift register with mixed signals (i mean the signals added to each other in a mixer), but with a reset button that clears the memory. This one could be used to do the same things as the first one and other things too. Probably it could even mimic an arpeggiator…

Here’s a sketch (I am so sorry)

incsum

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Ah you are the guy behind OhmForce :

(this is a working vst)

2 Likes