I'd like to do some graphic design for modules...

Thanks!

Ok - in case anyone is still reading this :slight_smile: I’m able to open & edit .svg files with no issues, but they’re black when I open the module. I’ve simply tried changing the color of an existing background polygon from white to yellow.

I’ve restarted.

When I replace the edited .svg with the original, after a restart, it works fine. The edited svg appears as expected in Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.

Any ideas?

Install Inkscape ?

They are in the Fundamental folder.

1 Like

Ok, tried opening an exisiting module in Illustrator, and it came up as 37.208 mm x 67.028 mm.

If I create a new document at the correct size in mm, and copy/paste from the original, it’s too big… So… I have some experimenting to do.

I have made many panels in illustrator, but have never used Inkscape. Perhaps you need to conver from mm to pixels in Inkscape first? Afaik AI does not support mm.

Illustrator supports mm… in fact, it’s importing at the correct size now - but still only showing up black in VCV. Hmm…

The directions say pixels are not supported.

Could it be that AI is saving the svg with “extra” information, not needed by VCV ?

Yeah, that’s possible. I’m not sure what the VCV specs are, though - didn’t see anything beyond what’s posted above. Here are the available SVG save/export settings:

I would say experiment with those settings until it works :wink:

:slight_smile: lol… I’ve learned my lesson trying to do that in the past… I think I’ll start a new thread, could probably help some others using Illustrator as well!

thanks

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah, saw that when searching, and it says metadata from AI should be ignored in VCV. Maybe it’s not?

And the last response says “The proper export settings for illustrator are well documented, just google it.”

Ah… did that first, but didn’t find anything helpful, though I may have missed it.

1 Like

You aren’t “supposed” to use pix, but plenty of us do. If you are making a private build, then there’s really nothing to worry about. But if mm works for you, that’s they way to go.

1 Like

Thanks - I don’t mind using different units, I just can’t get it to show anything than black after I edit. Started a new post about it here.

When exporting from Illustrator, right-click on your graphic and ‘Export Selection’

Select SVG as the file type and set your SVG settings as follows by clicking on the little cog icon:

After exporting from Illustrator you will still need to open and resize the SVG in Inkscape as Illustrator SVGs are always converted to px size on export, even if created in mm. So import and scale to the correct mm size in Inkscape and save.

This workflow is a bit of a pain but works perfectly for Rack.

I always went directly from AI, never through Inkscape. Oh, but I did always use pix in my code.

Yeah the inkscape step is only needed if working in mm. Illustrator refuses to save SVGs in mm.

Whether that is a feature or a bug I couldn’t say…

Yeah, I think that’s why I said, above, that AI doesn’t support mm.

For what its worth, before I switched to fully programmatic panels, I designed mine in AI, I used mm and the standard SVG export, but maybe something that’s not obvious: I used separate artboards for each panel in a single AI file.

3 Likes