How to stop envelope triggers on repeated notes in a sequence?

Scenario: I have random sequence going to an oscillator. The oscillator envelope is triggered by the same clock as the sequence. Occasionally the sequence will repeat a note, and I get the envelope triggered more than once for the same note.

My want: To have the envelope triggered only when the note changes.

Solution tried: So far the best solution I’ve used is to send the note v/oct to a shift register and send the first two outputs to a comparator and only trigger when the comparator inputs are different (i.e. the note has changed).

Is there a better way? A ‘on note change’ type module?

Are you quantizing your sequence? Some quantizers have a trigger / gate that fires on note change.

3 Likes

So is this legato or something else?

Either way I don’t recall seeing a single module that does what you’ve described.

1 Like

I suspect the solution is dependent on whether your envelope requires a trigger (like an AD envelope), or a gate (like an ADSR). I believe a gate requires a bit more work. If all you need is a trigger then you can ignore the clock and simply fire a trigger whenever the V/Oct changes. I think there are a number of comparators that can fire a trigger whenever they see a CV change.

1 Like

Grande Quant is a great choice for a quantizer that fires a trigger whenever it sees a note change. It has a bunch of other nice tricks up its sleeve as well.

3 Likes

This one is nice too :

Quantum

3 Likes

I meant to say slope detectors.

Your solution with a shift register and comparator is fine for firing triggers on change.

1 Like

There’s also the slope detector from Count Modula with an output for when the voltage changes. It should work i believe

2 Likes

Thanks to all for the replies. I didn’t get notifications so I only just saw them!

1. I had not spotted the quantizer trigger - just the trick I need!
  2. Slope detectors are perfect for other situations - thanks.
2 Likes