How to make beautiful pads like Future Sound of London - Lifeforms?

Been listening to the new FSOL album Cascade 2020 and I forgot how beautiful the pad sounds are.

How would you go about making lush evolving pads like that in Rack?

1 Like

Reminds me of a Solina Strings in a way, but heavily filtered. Off the top of my head idea; maybe a VCO with fast PWM into a slowly modulated notch filter or phaser, into a low pass filter, some reverb… Or something. There’s some sweeping resonance in there somewhere.

Gotta test though, could be sine waves for all we know.

2 Likes

I agree filtered solina or logan string melody 2 in a small stone phaser mid reso filtered

1 Like

Now, if only there was a stereo chorus that could do a Solina type thing to a humble saw wave…

:smiley:

In fact, I changed my mind. Saw VCO into Stereochorus Tremolo and Stereo Phaser 2 for the base sound, then resonant low pass filter. There’s some free advertising. :wink:

2 Likes

I made a patch which is kinda Solina-ish. Maybe add some more filters to it?

1 Like

I just realised that the sound I was thinking of doesn’t coming until about 1:00, are you all talking about that or the bass sound at the beginning?

1 Like

If you are looking for lush pads in general, my Saws VCO is an easy starting point. Not to nail the sounds in this song, but in general.

1 Like

Kind of midrange thing that more appear to the right channel and walks around main root right? I may have a solution but need to more test of it, then hope to show it. The main issue still is racks nice filters give a lot of nice overdrive but amazingly original pad doesn’t have one. I suppose these guys used to use some eventide stuff for that and waveform isn’t really matter in this particular case. I love that track to but always listened only the main seq) And yeah another issue it’s hard for me identify chords in this pad

1 Like

Yeah that’s the one, starts at 1:38 but really any of the sounds are fascinating so I’d be up for hearing more about the others. I’m not great at identifying chords either but I can have a try tomorrow although I suspect with sounds like this that the exact chord isn’t too important.

OK here it is - https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkGgbOqvdL/ Not exactly but close, I think it also need some add fx but I don’t get what. The main thing is all pass filters in Stairways set to different frequency.

1 Like

These short video are super cool! I’ve got a short attention span :wink: Thanks for using all those Stairways. Remember my special offer - use 10 in one patch and you get the 11th for free.

2 Likes

Wow that’s really close! I’m going to have to study this a bit because it looks fairly simple but I haven’t used all pass filters very much. Thanks so much!

I did download the solina patch @chrtlnghmstr although I haven’t really had a chance to play with it. After watching what @VCVRackIdeas did I can see that your patch is a good base for exploration, will have to give it a try with some strong phasing action as mentioned.

1 Like

two things to mention. one is that my “Stairway” can diverge pretty far from the advertised response if you overdrive it really hard. Second thing is that a static allpass all by itself has no sound, but when you modulate it, it will cause a small pitch change. Perhaps you remember the classic “uni-vibe” pedal? That’s what it did.

1 Like