How much do you care about the visual design of Rack Modules?

ANATEMAAAA!!

PENITENZIÀGITE !!

:rofl:

3 Likes

What would be your minimum acceptable font size at 100% zoom?

and decent docs too. Ah, the pain of figuring out how the heck they work…

3 Likes

If you develop clean or eclectic artistic designs for your modules doesn’t matter to me. The module just needs to be functional as provide options to help get your ideas out of your head in to other peoples ears. Coming from a guy who thinks that sloths are the true kittens of the feline kingdom.

3 Likes

In defence of NYSTHI, I find most of the modules intuitive enough not to need docs, and the ones that are less so make for a nice challenge. Considering they’re free I think they make a great asset for VCV, I just wish they were also open source.

4 Likes

After looking at the source code for Modular Fungi LightsOff I don’t think there is any nanovg trick. Looks like it draws a giant translucent box over the entire rack, and then re-draws lights and ports over the top. Take a look at LightsOffContainer::draw method.

1 Like

Good point. I recently switched from a very old 17" monitor to a “4k” monitor and VCV looks so sharp and good at “retina” resolution that I can see how if a developer only had a monitor like this that they would mistakenly use fonts that are too small to read on a “normal” monitor.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s just what I needed to see, thanks! I changed the MixMaster VU meters to derive from LightWidget instead of OpaqueWidget, since those are part of what gets redrawn, and now those VUs look nice in the dark too! :slight_smile: (@steve)

17 Likes

OOOhhhhhh yesssssssss!

10 Likes

I think basically like Andrew says: Stick to the approx. size of the VCV/fundamental modules and all is Ok. Consistency, in a way, is even more important than absolute size, because if all modules use roughly the same font-size, then you can zoom in until it’s right for your eyes, and all fonts are readable.

2 Likes

Yes, but actually a clear and consistent UI can help a lot with that.

2 Likes

Personally i don’t care too much about the visual design but about the legibility instead, as an example the Strum’s VCV Modules very difficult to read. Another example are the µmodules from NYSTHI with a very nice look but very tiny to my eyes!

2 Likes

Fantastic work! My eyes thank you :slight_smile: Next stop, scopes & analyzers.

1 Like

Excellent work Marc :slight_smile:

Do the little filter LEDs show up too?

1 Like

Interesting. Just looking at the pictures, it seems like the problem might be that they use a font that isn’t very legible? The size doesn’t look too crazy.

It’s a good rule, but difficult to follow. I think most modules now are denser than the fundamentals? Clearly we all have a feeling for what is “too dense”, but I think it might be denser than those. fwiw in the past i modeled my look on the fundamentals, and kept the density low like that, but now people want so many cv inputs and features (as do I) that I find it difficult to keep the design that “open”.

2 Likes

Fundamental aims for real-world density, where you have big grabby fingers that can’t handle 23 jacks spaced 5mm apart, but on the computer it feels like too much wasted space, no wonder originals prefer being denser.

3 Likes

rack 2.0 is going to have different number of pixels per mm

could you give more info/source on this?

I use pixels everywhere as I have no svgs or real world versions of my panels. I’d have to change many things if for example the height of one row would change.

1 Like

Not actually sure if it’s true or not. But we have been warned that our SVG panels that use pixel units are not correct, and that panels should use millimeters instead. You might ask @Vortico directly about using bitmaps for panel backgrounds. Unlike me, he will actually know true things.

1 Like

I don’t want to use bitmaps, I was referring to using pixel coordinates directly when placing widgets with code (instead of feeding everything through the mm2px function). If you meant only the importing of svgs then I have nothing to worry about. But this is going off-topic, I guess.

1 Like